PeaZip or 7zip?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

I last tried Peazip more than a year ago. From this link, it's nice to see that it now supports cascaded menu. I dug up my inbox and the reason why the developer didn't support such feature because Vista no longer allows it and he was afraid it would be the same for Win7. But why did he disable it for XP also at that time? :doubt: Is the cascaded menu feature only for Win7? The installer's context menu configuration presentation ain't really intuitive. I prefer it only had 'add context menu support', 'cascade context menu entries', 'add entries in Send to menu' options with tree view on what entries to in/exclude. Maybe that changed now?

The jZip developer said he will update jZip in the near future but gave no date.

2. Morro

Morro Registered Member

+1:thumb:

IZArc is my favorite as well, i tried WinRAR/7zip/ZIPgenius an ALLZip and i always ended up installing IZArc again. :)

3. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

WinRar has a cascaded menu option and that's worked in XP/Vista/7.

4. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I use WinRAR, despite he is paid (Although perfectly usable when the period ends) he is very friendly and efficient and I never had any problem. :thumb:

5. guest

guest Guest

7-Zip for me. The extra features PeaZip might have aren't needed here.

In fact, all I need from a software of this category is already included/better optimized in 7-Zip.

6. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

WinRAR has a lifetime license, so I think it's worth buying it if you like it to give some support for the developer.

7. icr

icr Registered Member

7zip here too the main reason is that it has high compression ratio and also come for free and I just want rar,zip and 7zip extraction program minus the additional features:)

8. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I use often the portable version of peazip. 7zip has been much more stable than peazip, although for some the extra features of peazip is a must have. Lately I regularly use Freearc, which is absolutely great.

9. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I agree, but who can not afford to buy a license can still use it perfectly even after finishing the trial.

10. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Very simple question to me. 7zip is the Original ONE. Everyone else just try to copy, clone, imitate the best FREE compression software. Go ahead with 7zip, if you have few bucks to spent buy WinRar. Ugly, beautiful or not icons are not so important when you try to decompress a 7 GB file and the ''X'' software goes in crash.

11. Kuru_54

Kuru_54 Registered Member

Well, differences are not only in terms of cosmetics...

In example I routinely use PeaZip's when it's needed to create multiple separate archives at once.
    7-Zip requires doing some scripting to accomplish the same task (this feature is quite often asked on 7-Zip forum), that is exactly what PeaZip does in background being based on 7-Zip engine, quite handy and equally safe because both 7-Zip file manager and PeaZip file manager uses the same open source components from 7-Zip engine.

Similarly, I use PeaZip for converting archives, because both programs does the same through the same 7-Zip's components (so have the same stability and performances, and gives the same compression ratio) but PeaZip allows the task to be done with a single pass in the GUI, while 7-Zip would require writing a script each time, that is more time consuming, human-error prone and not suited for the average user.
    I converted many RARs in 7Zs, an recompressed many ZIPs that originally had poor compression (the were from WinRAR and WinZIP) - this because 7-Zip (and consequently PeaZip) implement an optimized compression for ZIP format, files are smaller but compatible with any other utilities (files can be extracted with IZArc, WinRAR, WinZip, PowerArchiver, Windows' unzip, etc..).

Another example is secure deletion, IMHO a must have feature for a file manager.

As I said, I'm very happy of both programs because they are free and, don't forget, Open Source, that means that unlike in WinRAR features cannot be locked by the author for commercial reasons: they DO belong to users.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

JRViejo Peazip already comes in a portable version from the developer...

Doesn't take much to miss on the Home page 'PeaZip Portable 3.4 free download'

http://peazip.sourceforge.net/

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Rereading this thread. Reminded me when I purposely converted files from rar & zip to 7zip. Forced my friend to use 7zip. LOL:D

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

DasFox, I was letting forum readers know that a new PeaZip portable version had been released.

FYI. The portable version (not the zip file) offered by the developer, Giorgio Tani, was created in a PortableApps.com format, in conjunction with John T. Haller, owner of said site. If you click on the portable link on the PeaZip site, it will take you to the same page I provided.

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Got ya, my bad...

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

No sweat. :) Take care.

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

winrar for me. tried everything i know exists and i always end up with winrar

19. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

same here, worked best for me

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. 7-Zip Portable 9.19 Beta, courtesy of PortableApps.com.

Note: For testers, developers and other advanced users!

21. Kuru_54

Kuru_54 Registered Member

7-Zip 9.20 is out, it was a long time awaited non-beta release.
    Betas were good, but in some environments, especially corporate, there are quite restrictive policies about running beta software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.