PE8 excluding Downloaded Components and Perflib_Perfdata?

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by dscrap, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

This may be a simple question, but I am not sure how to do it. In previous versions of PE I believe that you were able to exclude items from wipes. I looked through the other postes and didn't find anything there. I also looked in the help pdf and it wasn't there either.

Specifically, when I run Intenet Clean-up I want to exclude one of the items detected in the Downloaded Components section while wiping the rest. Is this possible? Or do I just have to un check it entirely and keep all downloaded components?

It is a real pain in the *ss to manually uncheck the item every time I run Internet Clean-up. The item is the MSN Photo Upload Tool used to add pictures to hotmail.

Also, everytime I run PC Clean-up, I have to ignore the Perflib_Perfdata_***.dat file in my temporary folder. Is there a way to exlude this from the wipe? Or how do I wipe it? I am runninng XP Pro with SP2 and never had this file come up in any other version besides PE8. I have PE8 Build 743.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dscrap,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Internet Privacy and Antispyware Software.

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis Privacy Expert Suite doesn't support excluding particular files. However, you may set up search be mask. For Internet Clean-up, for example, you need to open its "Properties" and set up the mask you wish to "Files" option.

We are planning to add the feature of excluding particular files in future.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

Thanks Ilya,

Do you have any idea when this feature will be added? Can you tell me where to find information on the mask? I didn't see anything concerning it in th ehelp files. Can you give me an example?

Thanks!

4. Acronis Support

Hello dscrap,

I am afraid it is difficult to tell the date of when the build with this option to be released. It needs to be developed and then tested before it can be given to our customers.

As for the mask, please launch Acronis Privacy Expert 8.0, right click on the "Internet Clean-up" option and choose "Properties". On the opened window please click on the "Internet Components" -> "Downloaded Components", check the "Enable this component" box and click on the "+" near the "Downloaded Components" item. Click on "Files" and input the mask for the files to be found. Please note that this will define the files that SHOULD be found but not the ones that SHOULD NOT.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

I still am running into problems with PE 8.0.789 not deleting Perflib_perfdataXXX.dat files. I did some searching and found the freeware tool linked below that will tell you what programs are using perflib_perfdataXXX.dat files and other files running on your PC.

It seems that I had 3 of these perflib_perfdataXXX.dat files on my system that PE never could remove. I have to hit ignore when I get to these files every time I run PE.

This really isn't a huge problem, but it is a potential security risk. If I start a cleanup, I have to sit until its finished instead of walking away. If I walk away and come back to my PC later, PE is waiting on the files to be ignored or to retry and wipe. If I have data that is normally wiped after the temp files, then it is accessible to anyone that walks up to my PC when I am not around. What’s the sense of running an automated cleanup application if it stops half way and waits for a response leaving the PC vulnerable.

From what I have found on the web, perflib_perfdataXXX.dat files are basically orphaned files. They are created by some program on your PC which is why you cannot delete them since the current file is in use by a program. They are usually removed by the program upon shutdown. However, they reappear as soon as you reboot if the program that made them starts at boot. It would be simple just to not start the program until needed and then closing it would remove the perflib_perfdataXXX.dat files. The problem is the programs that are creating these files need to be running all the time, like the video driver…

Makes sense, but I really would like a way to tell PE to ignore these files when scanning. I would also like to be able to select certain other files to ignore as well while having the ability to deleting others in the same folder (Temp). This would be a great feature to add to the next build of PE if you are listening Acronis...

The three programs using the files are:
    1. PGPserve.exe - from PGP Desktop 9
    2. CLI.exe _ part of ATi Catalyst Control Center
    3. I forget the third, I'll have to reboot and see if its there.

mstIsUsedBy15e.exe

6. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

The three programs using the files are:
    1. PGPserve.exe - from PGP Desktop 9, gone...
    2. CLI.exe - part of ATi Catalyst Control Center, there are 2 of these running
    3. Overclk.exe A system utility for Asus mobo.

7. Ollie28

Ollie28 Registered Member

Re. Perflib_Perfdata aka PIB (Pain in the Butt)
    The following worked for me in getting rid of the pest.

1-Delete all items in the start menu, Reboot
    2-Go to Windows/Temp and delete all P_P items., Reboot
    3-Slowly add start menu items back, frequently reboot to make sure the
    P_P hasn't reappeared. If it suddently reappears, then the last start
    menu item is the carrier.
    4-I was able to put back all start items deleted above and the p_p has not
    come back.
    Addendum:I found that the above actions did not take out the P_P program on a second computer.
    Here is an additional set of items that removed the repeating file and has not come back.
    5- After performing 1,2,3 above, go to run/msconfig and select tab next to start menu. The window
    is called "services". Some of the services are running and some are stopped.
    6- Click the button "disable all", reboot.
    7-Go to Windows/temp and delete ALL P_P files, reboot
    8-Restore all start menu items and enable all service programs.
    9-Reboot, On my two computers, the temp P_P problem is gone.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  8. Acronis Support

Hello Ollie28,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Internet Privacy and Antispyware Software.

Sharing your experience is very much appreciated.

If you have any further experience to share, please feel free to post it on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.