PE not showing server

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Rainwalker, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hello all...i just noticed that when i looked at the 'status'' then 'details'by r.cking computer icon in tray, that the server address is not being shown in Port Explorer...... why not :doubt:

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Sorry Rainwalker, i hoped somebody else would have jumped in in the meantime as i don't understand your description, sorry.
    Which where clicked and what expected?
    Icon in tray? what server should be thereo_O
    Please explain so even i can understand what you mean. I can but tell you i never have seen any server name in the tray, only the name of the program when hoovering over the tray icon and to whom it is regisgtered, and in the systray the current sockets.
    So what am i missing?

3. Rainwalker

Thanks for getting back Jooske.......ok...in the tray is an icon showing two computers....one is me and the other is my connection to the world ' their puter /server in a manner of speaking......when i am sending/receiving one lights up and when 'they are sending; the other little puter icon lights......i don't think you use xp but i think you might the same on your machine.....ok, now when i left click on that icon i have three options.....
    1. Status 2. Disconnect 3. Open Network Connections.............i then l.click Status.....this gives me two choices 1. General 2. Details i left click Details and there i see certain information listed and at the bottem of the list where the two last entries are, i see 1. Server IP address 2. Client IP address.......... the Server IP address is always the same and when i do a reverse lookup it only shows my ISP....................so i am wondering why i don't see that address in Port Explorer :doubt: Maybe because that is the Gateway for everything else? I am on dialup so MY ip address is not static.

4. Rainwalker

Would someone please address this o_O

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Waiting for it now too.
    time ago i lost the systray icon showing the connection, at the moment i can't find back how to make it visible again, thought it was a setting somewhere (win98 system here) but maybe lost that option.
    Want to try but hard without that icon on my system.

In my Port Explorer console i have always only seen a netstat socket for my netcard and modem to the outside world; never have seen my public IP address inthere as it is local on my system, it is not remote.
    But when i look in the logfile of the computer activity i do see connections to my public IP address; if you have a static IP address you can even give it another name in your HOSTS file with a non-existing URL or something nice you recognise immediately, so you get some insights about the level of your system connecting with something remote.
    I mean:
    computer has a name,
    netcard can have a name
    modem can have a name
    localhost 127.0.0.1 can have another name
    localhost 0.0.0.0 can have another name
    public (stable) IP can have another name
    In your case only the static IP option is missing at the moment.
    the first 5 lines you could add to your HOSTS file if you do know names or IP addresses for those and the localhost is easy, only the static IP public address you don't have.
    So i do see a row of my own phantasienames knowing what is connecting exactly to what, making it more insightful.
    Do look in the log file and you'll see what i mean!
    sending something to this forum for instance i do see my public IP sending something to this forum IP,
    then a send receive on and back on localhost level, then a whole bunch sending or receiving between my public IP and this forum IP, then again a send receive on and back between my localhost adresses local remote and again such a pattern, if there are people with all kinds of messengers in their profile you might get traffic between those too a slight moment --messenger, are you connected? no; have a message? no; disconnect messenger-- so look into your log file to see all the things you don't see in the display.

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Rainwalker, As far as I know the ip address in the details of your connection icon is the Gateway or static address, although this can change if you have a dynamic IP address. It is like your house number and is given to you by your ISP. The addresses as seen in Port Explorer are the doors opening and closing as people or packets in this case enter and leave these are the truly dynamic parts.
    Here is a screenshot of my Details showing my LAN address of this PC on the router 192.168.2.1, in my case the router then passes the packets to my real IP address to the world.

HTH Pilli :)

Attached Files:

7. Rainwalker

Thanks Jooske, you put a lot into that :) and thanks too Pilli

please re-read this ' Server IP address 2. Client IP address.......... the Server IP address is always the same and when i do a reverse lookup it only shows my ISP....................so i am wondering why i don't see that address in Port Explorer Maybe because that is the Gateway for everything else? I am on dialup so MY ip address is not static. '

I am on a stand alone puter and use dialup and do not have a static ip address. The last entry will show the 'Client IP Adress' and always changing as it should but the 'Server IP Address' NEVER cnanges so i'm thinking this is normal ( ? )
    and if it is then way is it not showing on PE

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Rainwalker, It will not show in Port Explorer because it is the Gateway address it is static whilst you have it and the ports that Port explorer sees are the doors through it and what passes through them. There is no need for PE to see the Gateway as such to do it's job.
    As you can see by my screenshot, 192.168.2.1 is the Gatewat, DNS (Domain Name Server) & DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) Yours is similar but reflects the IP address given by your ISP.

9. Rainwalker

OK.....thanks Pilli...just needed to be sure ........ do enjoy your evening :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.