pe guard

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by simisg, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

I don't think of it as hate so much as criticism. Maybe it comes off a little stronger because it really amazes and annoys me how everyone seems to love this application for some reason and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why. The program just didn't fit anywhere. It wasn't a full fledged HIPS, it wasn't automated as other applications, it wasn't as flexible, it wasn't free, etc.
    You want a complete HIPS for some solid protection? There are Comodo Firewall, Online Armor, the Outpost products and, of course, Malware Defender.
    You want solid and more automated protection? There's DefenseWall and GeSWall. Which reminds me, DefenseWall is another example of a brilliant piece of software. Yes, it costs money but just look at how well written, updated and proven it is. Also it has reliable support.
    You want something small to add to your security setup? There's WinPatrol and MJ Registry Watcher.

PE GUARD was rather easy to use, yes, but it wasn't that easy, and most of it's ease of use was due to the fact that it didn't have as many features. In other words, its principle wasn't really any different than other HIPS programs. It did have some registry protection and could block some potentially dangerous files (exe, sys, bat, inf, etc.) which is why it managed to score decently on some tests. However, against any semi-sophisticated malware it would fail.

My point is that one can find much better overall produtcts out there. Many of them are even free, and if they are not, they still offer better cost/efficiency ratio.
    PE GUARD just didn't have anything going for it. It didn't excel in anything. Any other application is either simpler to use or offers more protection, or has more features, or is more flexible, or is free, or a combination of those things.

Oh, and there was the language. I know english wasn't the author's native language but come on... It had tons of errors. It it were an inhouse tool or something, then fine, but this was a public and also a commercial application. At least some effort has to be put in it. Ask a friend, who speaks english well, to check it. Or use a dictionary. Heck, even a machine translation would've been better.

Call it "hating" if you want. I can't stop you or change your mind, but I just don't think PE GUARD was nearly as brilliant as so many people thought. In fact, I found it to be quite mediocre overall, as I stated earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.