pe guard

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by simisg, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

@opaida: Thanks for good news :)

Free version of PE Guard 2.2 shows "Trial Version". Is it feature + time limited or feature limited only (free for ever)?

Please reply soon. I am eager to test it thoroughly and deploy on my production system.

2. opaida

opaida Registered Member

Thank you for the link Thankful.

@Boyfriend:
    No, this is a feature limited only. It's for ever free :).

3. Boyfriend

Thanks opaida :) I am testing it right now in VM.

Q: What software/executable should be added in trusted list only? Is it safe to add Adobe Reader, IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.?
    Q: What if trusted software/executable is exploited?

Moreover, please make necessary correction in about window of free version and replace “Trial version” with "Free Version" if EULA allows it.

4. opaida

opaida Registered Member

A1: It dependes. If you aren't got annoying from lots of popups, then I advise you to not add any process :D.
    Adding a process like IE in trusted list makes a hole in your system security.
    But adding a process like winrar in trusted list doesn't make such hole in your system security.

A2: If the trusted process were exploited, you won't get any popup if this process tried to exploit other processes.

Thank you for notes.

5. Boyfriend

Thanks opaida for reply :) Very help answers for me to decide list of trusted processes.

Q: Does PE Guard uses some kind of whitelist, as it did not warn me while using Opera and IE?
    Q: Does PE Guard has self-defense?

6. opaida

opaida Registered Member

You are welcome :D.

A1: Trusted list = whitelist. Also, It has a temporary trusted list.
    A2: Under 32 bit systems, it has. But under 64 bit systems it doesn't.

7. Boyfriend

Thanks for your help :) I will surely consider jumping to full version once it is released as promised.

8. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Can you share the differences between the free and pro. I have not kept up with changes with this app so I have no idea what ones are extra. I may have to try this APP out if its very stable :)

9. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Hello, I'm interested in PE Guard for our family PC and have some questions (please understand I'm not a techie by any stretch of the imagination):

Is PE Guard a malware-blocker sort of like Mamutu?

Would PE Guard complement Avast AV (free version) without conflicts?

If no malware is present, does PE Guard eventually operate 'silently' or do pop-ups persist?

Thank you...

10. opaida

opaida Registered Member

There is only one difference: PE Guard free version doesn't include the feature called "PE Guard Plus" which means: The free version doesn't include Registry Protection & AntiExecutable.

PE Guard 2.2, and the free version, is very stable.

11. opaida

opaida Registered Member

@Wendi:
    Dont know Mamutu, but PE Guard will monitor everything and then ask you.

Till now, I didn't receive any complaints that PE Guard has conflict with other security programs.

NO.

Opaida.

12. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

Can the free version be upgraded?

13. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I have not got to install the app yet (got to backup my important files/school/photos/application project) but from reviews and past posts I got a free suggestions.

I noticed that from alert screen shots it shows that when a new object is being created is say *create new* in the alert window. Just personally compared from other HIPS is would make sense to say create new driver, create new folder, create new directory, create new memory object just so it is clear what new was created.

One possible weakness I can see from what I read is the free version lacks Registry Protection (because from what I read that is a plus feature). I personally think that should be merged into the free guard, almost every free HIPS has registry protection so that was one major weakness of the free.

Other then that I will see if I can backup all my stuff tomorrow and try it out :D

14. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I would keep the free and paid version the way they are. If you want registry protection, the fee for the paid version is nominal. Opaida deserves to be paid for his work.

15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I am not saying he does not deserve to be paid it just for me personally it makes it harder to pick a limited HIPS that does not have registry protection. I fully understand he has to get paid somehow.

Personally maybe just add a limited Startup protection, I will take that over a full registry protection for a limited version.

(I am sorry if I sound cheap, I just don't have money to spend on security products currently and just making a suggestion on how I personally see most free HIPS)

16. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

O.K. I understand. Money is also tight for me as well.

17. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Yeah, nowadays money is tight for a lot of us! :doubt:

@Ibrad, if you're running 32-bit, you might try using the freeware version of RegDefend

18. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Does not seem to support W7 according to the site. Besides I could always find some other tool to work with it. Maybe PEG/MJ Registry Watcher would be a good combo. The point I was eventually going to get to the dev is what make's PEG stand out in the free area. Yet at the same time I wanted to thank them for putting out a free version which may be the perfect thing with a limited amount of alerts for my parents to use on the XP. I wish everyone behind this good luck on the project and I will add it to my list of things to test.

19. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

You'll get excellent protection even without registry protection. I would definitely give it a try.

20. opaida

opaida Registered Member

No, you need to uninstall it and install the full version.
    But, the free version will accept the automatic updates.

21. opaida

opaida Registered Member

I see that Registry Protection is an added value to PE Guard main works.

22. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I plan on it, just giving some constructive criticism.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

opaida are you getting ready for anti-keylogger protectiono_Othanks man

24. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Jeepers, you don't want much do you :D

What started out as a very nice little low resource etc complimentary app, could soon turn into a full blown HIPS etc, if you get your way :D

Nothing wrong with that of course, if that's what opaida wants. But it won't be the same little app we all know and love anymore. Which "might" mean it "could" clash with other apps we already have, in which case we would have to forsake one for the other. Some might choose to do that, but things won't be the same again !

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is good to have it for better program and system protection in real time instead of having too much programs it will be nice to have so to be able to enable certain features and also to be able to disable if you choose to;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.