PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5.212

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by prius04, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

PDF-XChange PRO (the full suite) also deserves more attention than it's currently getting. I imagine it can do most everything pdfFactory Pro can do and is actually less expensive ($74 USD):

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-pro

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

You imagine ... One can image many things. Could you do at least a rough comparison?

3. prius04

I should have worded the sentence in my previous post differently, such as:

I can't imagine how pdfFactory Pro could possibly have any more features than PDF-XChange PRO.

Considering the dozens and dozens of features listed for this type of software, not to mention most sites include only a partial feature list, it would be rather difficult to do a 'rough comparison'.

Below is a link to PDF-XChange PRO's features (note that it's a partial list):

http://www.tracker-software.com/pdf-xchange-products-comparison-chart

4. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

anyone test it out yet?

6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I installed it, and found a problem. There is not preview image in Windows Explorer when a PDF is selected. And the option is not available in the installer, as far as I can see.

This option is very useful to me.

Edit

There is an "explanation" in another page: "The download file contains two installation files – one for the viewer itself and one for the Shell Extension for viewing thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Installation of this extension is optional, but you might miss if you don’t know it is there."

Yes. I´m still missing it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  7. zfactor

see i dont want that so for me that is not a issue i used to turn off that feature. i have to say memory consumption is still VERY high imo

8. prius04

They're still tweaking the Editor; a new release is purportedly scheduled for this Friday.

Re previews, I found the following in a post written by Will from Tracker support:

As for the thumbnails, that should be released in the next few days - we're holding off from packaging the Editor in the Pro installer, to make sure that everything is running as expected, etc. Once the Editor is packaged in the Pro installer, then the Shell Extensions, which handle the Explorer previews, should be included too. Again, this should only be a couple of days away.

9. zfactor

will we be able to turn it off then?

10. prius04

I certainly hope so. I never really used that feature either.

11. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Have they gotten rid of fullscreen view? I can't find it anywhere and F12/F11 does nothing.

This is just a cosmetic thing, but I don't care for the new icon.

12. prius04

Yes, they removed it and it won't be replaced in the next release (Build 306) either. According to support, we'll have to wait a month or two for 307 or 308.

I agree and posted a feature request for alternative icons on the Tracker forum.

13. prius04

No, it does not at this time. They fully intend to incorporate the update feature in a future build, though.

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Will XChange Viewer Free update to Editor free in the future?

15. prius04

No - at least that's my understanding based upon what I've read on the Tracker forum.

For now, you can still have both installed on your machine and run either product.

16. zfactor

i dont think the icon is bad at all imo. i prefer it to the old one which i did not like at all. on another note im not super familiar with it but does it convert to word? im using a pro lic key from the previous version and maybe im blind today but i wanted to convert a pdf to a word doc but was not finding the option?? i know i can do this with nitro.

edit it seems the full pro version (not the new viewer pro) is the only one with this feature. i did not realize my lic works for the full pro version and i tried this one. i LIKE the newer interface i personally like the newer icon also. my question is will they update the new viewer version to what the full pro version is with a newer version to have the same interface? i saw pro was not updated since august which is why i was curious. for now ill re-install pro instead i guess.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  17. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

The new program is not as customizable as previously. I particularly miss "Customize User Interface". Also the toolbars can not be moved anymore.

Since I only use it as a PDF reader I'll stick with the Viewer, even if it won't be updated again.

18. prius04

Not sure if this (fully) answers your question, but they are planning to package the PRO version of Editor, which should be Build 306, with PDF-XChange PRO (not Viewer PRO) either today or sometime this weekend.

19. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

The Viewer was just updated to .213
    I can´t find release notes

20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Ah thanks.

They're always posted here, but they're also always late with updating them:
    http://www.tracker-software.com/PDFXV_history.html

21. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

The free version of .213 looks basically the same to me. I'm sure something's different but I haven't noticed anything major.

22. khanyash

Anyone using the latest PDFXchange Editor Free?

I have installed it with default i.e full install. I use Internet Explorer & Comodo Dragon. PDFXchange plugin is there in Comodo Dragon & works fine. The plugin is not there in Internet Explorer but PDF opens in IE fine.

Does this means PDFXchange works with Internet Explorer without plugin or corrupted install here?

Win 7 64
    Internet Explorer 10, 32 Bits
    PDFXchange Editor Free 3.0 (Build 306.0)

23. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

I just tried it out in IE and it works. It doesn't show up in manage addons however, no idea why. If it functions the way it's supposed to then it really isn't a problem.

24. khanyash

Thanxx for the info.

25. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.