.pdf help files ?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by eyes-open, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Just a quicky to ask if I'm the only person who likes to print out the help files ?

I ask because while I appreciate that .chm files are by definition more compact, as far as I know the printing bug remains (unless it's just me) and I can't print the entire document off in one go, it must be an attended task. Provision on the DiamondCS's homepage of .pdf files for its various softwares would have been one useful to me.

I know, it's an unbelievably petty observation - but I've bought a few programs over the last weeks with large help files, all in .chm format and it's just beginning to niggle a bit.

Thats it, no biggy in the vast scheme of things ..... just a thought.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi eyes-open, I think it is a very good suggestion, even a .doc would probably do for most though not as nice as a pdf ;)

Thanks. Pilli

3. eyes-open

Thanks Pilli :)

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Guys

You are right about not being able to print in one swipe. There are several good programs that allow you to print straight to PDF. It took me about 5 minutes to create a PDF for PG. I sent it to Gavin and if he chooses, they can post it.

Pete

5. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Pete thankyou very much for that, but for both legal reasons, your privacy, and the security of our customers, we can't publish PDFs (or similar formats such as Word DOC files) unless we've generated them themselves, I'm sure you understand. :)
    Having said that there are quite a few CHM-to-PDF converters available so we'll try and get that done this weekend, if not tonight after work.

Best regards,
    Wayne

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  6. Peter2150

Hi Wayne

You are most welcome. Your reasons are the reason, I didn't post it, but sent what I did to you. Happy to help any time I can.

Pete

7. eyes-open

just a quick note to say thank you all for taking the time not only to respond, but actually to go on and produce the documents.

Great stuff. :cool:

8. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Ok guys, I'm happy to report that we'll be able to provide PDF versions of any of our CHM files in about 24 hours from now. Both Gavin and myself tried countless CHM-to-PDF convertors over the weekend but unfortunately most only work with simple CHM documents, and (somewhat understandably) many don't seem to format everything correctly (images incorrectly aligned, sometimes even missing text, etc), but we have found a convertor we're happy with and we're just waiting to hear back from its author now in regards to licensing.

Thanks for your patience,
    Wayne

9. Can you please disclose the name of the product. I am looking for a good converter, too.

10. I am still interested in the name of this converter which apparently works for complex .chm files. I don't want to waste time and try dozens of converters myself ...

How about a deal? You disclose the name of the converter (which is absolutely no problem for you) and I send you a trojan which is not detected by TDS-3 (which is absolutely no problem for me). This should work for both of us: you get a bigger sig database and I can safe time.

11. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

hmm....
    Dolf

12. :::

::: Guest

What's wrong with that? (I have collected many trojans which are not detected by one or the other scanner.)

13. DolfTraanberg

You could have submitted them to DiamondCS to help others.
    Dolf

14. :::::

::::: Guest

In theory: yes. In practice: no.

In theory, all AV/AT developers should exchange malware samples and form a huge malware pool so that every scanner detects all known malware samples.

In practice, this would lead to the consequence that Kaspersky Labs do all the work and everyone else goes surfin at Lancellin beach (so-called "freerider problem"). Because even Kaspersky cannot find every malware sample the aggregate detection rate of all scanners would decrease if noone else uses his or her best efforts to locate malware.

This also applies in the present case. I have my very own (small) malware archive containing a few gigs of malware samples. Some of them are quite exotic. If a trustworthy person wants my malware s/he can get it in exchange for other malware samples. A 1:1 ratio applies. Frequently, I do not ask for actual samples but only for so-called credits. If I have a particular interest in the detection of a specific sample I submit it "for free". Here, I did not even ask for a sample or a credit but just for harmless information. I do not consider it absolutely necessary that TDS-3 detects the particular sample which I have in mind (AnskayaDL) because it is already detected by other scanners like Kaspersky.

15. Peter2150

Hi Guest

Based on your theory if you come here asking for help, before helping you we should ask what you have to offer. I don't think so. That isn't in the spirit of Wilders. I would suggest if you want people to be more responsive to your requests, that a change in attitude is appropriate. In any case best of luck.

Pete

16. :::::

::::: Guest

It's the other way round: I asked a simple harmless question and did not get an answer. Therefore, I concluded that at Wilders (or at least in this subforum I won't get help if I do not offer anything in return. I offered something in return but still got no help. Subsequently, DCS affiliates demand that I have to help others and simultaneously claim that I do not deserve help myself.

Are you really sure that this is the Wilders spirit?

17. DolfTraanberg

Hmm... maybe at E-bay you have better luck.
    feel free to have a look around at Wilders, then you can see where it's all about here
    Dolf

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  18. ::::

:::: Guest

Again:

I did not demand anything. I asked a question and I did not get help. I offered something in return but still got no help. I accepted that and did not continue to ask for information or even DEMAND help.

Moreover, I do help others without getting anything in return. At Wilders and other places. Maybe longer than you. But always within reason.

The only people, who seem to DEMAND something, are you and Peter. You demand that I make available parts or all of my malware for free. From a logical point of view, you would have to demand that I (and everyone else) make available their entire personal malware archive for free to every AV/AT developer (not only DCS). Me and others are reluctant do so because we do not fail to see that malware exchange (between non-malicious people) benefits everybody.

In my opinion, your demands are unreasonable. They have nothing do to with the spirit at Wilders. At Wilders you do not DEMAND help you ask for it. If you are lucky you get it. But you have to accept that you do not always get help.

19. MikeH

MikeH Registered Member

Just out of curiosity: Is there a reason that you (the anonymous guest) chose to run a drama here, rather than contact DiamondCS directly? The only "demand" I've seen is your demand for attention, with very childish whining about an unfulfilled request. Just my opinion.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's eliminate personal attacks and get back to the subject which is pdf help files. Any help is appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.