PCMag,s review of Microsoft Security Essentials

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aigle, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

MSE is based on Windows Defender/OneCare, which in turn was based on the product Microsoft bought (was it Giant?). Does anyone know how much the code has changed and whether its the same engone or something new?

The reason I ask is MS has some of the brightest engineers, and obviously they know the internals of Windows (though not as well as some hackers :D) so I would hope for some truly next-gen stuff from them. But I know the reason this can never happen is they would then get sued for anti-competitive practices.

One thing is for sure, never ever underestimate Microsoft! When they enter a market, its bad news for the other vendors. I'm going to make a prediction - if MSE continues to be succesfull, we will soon see Symantec/McAfee offer free AV solutions (with ads, crippled in some way, like no Insight, and nagging you to upgrade).

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Windows Defender was based on GIANT AntiSpyware and OneCare was mainly based on RAV Antivirus. But both have been modified so much they cannot really be recognized as such anymore.

3. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

You may be forgetting one thing though. Didn't the evolution of MSE start with One Care not being successful in the marketplace and MS pulling it and converting it into a free product?

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

The key word being 'evolution' MSE is free because it serves as an info provider for MS Forefront. Whether MS fails or succeeds will depend on that endeavor.

I am no big fan of MS by any means. But OneCare being pulled most likely has it's roots in no telling how many reasons. One thing though, if a decent consumer av can be provided free of charge - just as many other computer/internet products can as well- it makes it pretty difficult to justify shelling out money for a security suite. If MS can provide an av to consumers for free then why can't Norton, TM, etc?

Actually I see most paid security suites as marketed to the segment of the consumers who want some sort of status symbol. It's like jeans and athletic shoes. Some will pay extra for Nike just to have the brand name. That's where the Norton's and TM's of the world fit in the consumer marketplace IMO

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Very tricky said . So , I am authorised Microsoft products reseller - this should mean I must praise MSE ?! I am also Symantec products reseller . In "no way affiliated with their paid products" - by your definition .

I'll repeat it again
    This is not bashing . And if you can proove the oposite , you are more than welcome to try . Dare to try ?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009
  6. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I was responding to Defcon's point to never underestimate MS in the marketplace. I was pointing out that they just pulled their OneCare product out of the marketplace. So let us all not be so quick to jump up and praise them for their marketing abilities.

I agree with you though. I believe that is why we are hearing the harsh rhetoric coming from Symantec employees and other members here who no doubt see MSE as a threat.

sun88 went so far as to attack MSE users themselves:
    Is he an immature jerk who is trolling? Or is he associated with Symantec or another competitor? Surely one of those two reasons would reveal why he made such ignorant comments.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't think that MSE could be a threat to any vendor .
    http://www.eset.com/threat-center/blog/2009/09/30/microsoft-security-essential , especially for the big ones.

Symantec - they are in war against ALL and ANY freebie AVs , not especially Microsoft's

8. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I wasn't in fact referring to you or your comments.

There's a world of difference between people stating genuine reasons why they dislike MSE which is their right and others engaged in trolling,FUD or calling it's users losers.

9. simisg

simisg Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  10. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

How will Microsoft profit from an antivirus that is free?

11. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I am no expert on this but I'll give my 2 cents. I think the return investment is more windows based computers will be protected and therefore will be infected less and spreading less malware. Microsoft wants to stay on top, they have the most widely used os in the world and want to keep it that way. It is in their interest for it to be more secure from a business standpoint. The consumers in return will also benefit from it. If I am not behind the 8 ball on this, then someone clue me in.

edit: It will also help them with their commercial enterprise product. From what I have read.

12. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

.....That's right.....for many years now the legal system and international law has prevented Microsoft from locking down their Operating Systems.
    Security venders have had an lucrative business over the years and now the party is over. Security venders will continue to be successful in developing security software for Microsoft Windows, however,
    only the most innovative, reputable, and successful businesses will survive Microsoft's' security tsunami. Microsoft has an right to protect their own Operating System and are going to enforce that right.
    Microsoft Security Essentials is posing an threat to the pocketbooks of many.....hence, the negative reviews and such.

Microsoft Security Essentials will improve over time, feeding improvement to Microsoft's' Enterprise Security Solution: Microsoft Forefront. Security venders will be affected my Microsoft influence here also.
    Within the next decade the Internet infrastructure and computer architecture will change to an more secure oriented environment, the deployment of infections will be few with quality instead of the current
    invasion of quantity with nonsense. Google is lifting the fog obscuring the futures horizon to Internet and Computer Security with the development of their Operating System: Google Chrome Operating System.
    Google Chrome Operating System will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010 and will premiere initially targeted at Netbooks.

Read about Google Chrome Operating System here:
    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

HKEY1952

13. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

the idea is that mse will provide an additional reason to stick too or use Microsoft OS....ummm genuine OS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.