PCMag review

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rickster100, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Re: Ewido 4.0 Gets Poor Review (2 out of 5 stars) at PCMag...

1. No, actually it was called ewido security suite, then ewido anti-malware & finally ewido anti-spyware.

2. The only meaningfull test ewido has ever participated in, it was #1 in detection, it was btw the same test that Trojan Hunter pulled out of when they discovered they weren't among the best in it, after having said yes first to participate. Link: http://www.av-comparatives.org/, scrol down to "Anti-Trojan Comparative 2006".

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

You're right indeed about number 1. Sorry for the mistake.

About 2: I hope that Andreas will do a new survey with SUPERantispyware included somewhere in the hopefully near future :)

3. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

not anymore. if you have the free version of ewido 4, it will now run as a full on-demand only, ewido's process will automatically exit after you close the program.

this is only for ewido 4 free version, process dont terminate automatically while on trial period...

same as above...

4. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

This is going to be some bad PR, but most of us understand what Ewido is used for, and will continue to recommend it to people who need it.

That's how I feel about this sort of thing.

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

still, Ewido didn't do what it has been saying and apparently what was planned to do with V4 ... whether it is doing better or not ... even the CEO told about HIPS

6. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

For once I think Pc Mag's review was correct.
    The 2/5 rating on V4 ewido "anti-spyware" was well deserved.

V4 coupled with the buyout by Grisoft really left a bad taste in my mouth ;P

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: This blunder(facelift from antimalware to antispyware) has demonstrated that those who are in HIGH places can lose their common sense so quickly. If you put ducks(after make over; facelift,ID change) with chichen in a same cage, although both are poultry class, ducks still cracks like a duck, walks like a duck. And it takes only split second to downgrade the ducks. You just do not belong to here. If ewido wants to be an antispyware, there is a lot of rooms for improvement, and the road to glory could be very rocky. Good luck to you, Ewido.

8. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

PC Magazine Reviews Ewido/Spy Sweeper/Spyware Doctor

First of all i would say that i regularly visit their for reviews but i am not too sure like in case of Za Security Suite review,whether to trust their review of ewido??:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I always believed that ewido was a good anti-spyware but i am amazed to see that it got only two from their editoro_O
    Review:(Short)
    Bottom-Line:
    Grisoft's ewido anti-spyware 4.0 costs the same as programs that do a much better job. Some recommend using the scan-only free version as a second opinion, but it flopped in my tests.
    Pros:
    Scans inside archives, compressed executables, and alternate data streams. Includes analysis of running processes and browser plug-ins as well as Windows security settings. Secure file deletion.
    Cons:
    Failed to remove most threats it detected. Real-time protection limited to scanning memory and scanning files on execution. No protection against hijacks.
    The full review can be availed at:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1991977,00.asp
    I would like the knowledgable guys to comment on their review and send in your views on ewido...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Re: PC Magazine Reviews Ewido/Spy Sweeper/Spyware Doctor

theres already an ongoing thread if u care to join:

Ewido 4.0 Gets Poor Review (2 out of 5 stars) at PCMag...

someone pointed this out: PC Mag reviewed ewido as an antispyware due to its name.

thats why it did so poorly, ewido didnt start life as a dedicated antispyware. it focused on malware overall, particularly trojans. many people in this forum have known ewido as an antitrojan and thats where its strength lies. only time will tell if it improves at spyware detection/removal.

10. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Consumers are so fickle. One day a star, the next, a has-been.

Ewido was so loved by the masses not long ago, with a loyalty kind of like the NOD32ians have toward their product.

Then….

1. Ewido sells lifetime memberships (as long as the life of you or the company..)
    2. Then they sell the company (nice timing)
    3. Then 4.0 seems to only have bells and whistles yet little substance beyond 3.5

I’m just kind of waiting for the final indignity -- for us who bought the ‘lifetime’ subscriptions to be told to take a hike.

The day they kick overboard the ‘lifetime subscribers’ is the day that Paul Wilders needs to kick them off this board.

Other than that, all is good. Ewido is possibly not as good as many thought it was, but probably not as bad as that review makes it out to be.

Ewido – in my belief – remains a valuable tool in the arsenal against cyber garbage.

11. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Even if Ewido was given ALL the stars, some of the reviews these days must be taken with a pinch of salt. First it is the 'samples' they use, the results would be different if a different set of samples are used.

I think in a 'real life situation' Ewido can be very useful as part of layered security. Many users of Ewido have seen its true performance even though as already pointed out its still new as 'anti-spyware'. The idea of chasing most rewarded or most cheered products is not very helpful. :D

12. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

It's been my experience that advertisers on Ziff Davis sites tend to get a favorable review.

13. sosaiso

Truthfully, how many of us use Ewido to actually get rid of spyware? Maybe that's a bad question. How many of us actually get spyware?

I am still under the impression that we were using it to scan for the actual annoyances on the internet... I dunno....... things such as... um, TROJANS.

Spyware and Ad-ware are nothing but the end products of a trojan drop half the time. I'd rather have a product deal with these appropriately than have something like Spysweeper that gets rave reviews and does nothing.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What do u mean by doing nothing? It is an AS and really works good in this regard. What do u expect more from an AS?

15. sosaiso

It removes a many trouble makers, but does nothing if you have certain types of droppers.

Cleaned out a computer, and had the baddies redownloaded once I rebooted and reconnected to the net. Did not get rid of the cause. [trojan/rootkit combo.] Was just a test run back in the 3.5's. Things may have changed then. But the point being... spyware isn't the problem. Other pieces of malware are. [90% of the time.]

Do you expect more from a product that is designed to be an Antitrojan?

True, rebranded now, but modifying code in two months is not easy. Other AS's have a first mover advantage in this regard. I just don't see what all the impatience is about. Liscense's are still being honored, trojans still being removed, and research still being put in. I, for one, will stick with this ondemand scanner.

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It has gotten to the point that I am unsure what type application "antis" what.

I would have thought that rootkits, and keyloggers would be detected/blocked by the anti-virus. If not then I thought the anti-trojan would, but in the tests under discussion the anti-spyware applications did the job, and Ewido did not. That is my major disappointment with Ewido.

If all it does is detect trojans, then KAV is better than Ewido at that.

In the past I did not consider an AS as detecting such, but they did in that test.

Have the anti-trojans been made obsolete by the best anti-spyware applications? There seems to be considerable overlap.

So what application is the primary detector of rootkits, and keyloggers?

Thanks,
    Jerry

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Since this wasn't much of an Ewido support issue (especially considering some software plugs etc that appeared) it has been moved to a more appropriate forum.

18. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

first of all my apologies for double posting,and yes after pcmag gave Za Security Suite the coveted "Editor's Choice",i am beginning to doubt it...

19. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

No problem - I've merged the two threads together since they are both now in the appropriate forum.

20. sosaiso

ZA isn't bad for what it does... A firewall, some HIPS protection... We have to admit it does a better job than say... Macfee Internet Suite.

As for Kaspersky doing a better job, in inactive maybe... But antiviruses don't have the ability to kill a trojan that's running as far as I know... Not the the extent that Antitrojans do at least.

21. berng

berng Registered Member

22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Actually we don't have to admit any such thing. This is a subjective evaluation on your part.

23. sosaiso

true i stand corrected.

24. Metting

Metting Registered Member

All of this story "I mean the bad record of ewido" because of one thing which is the changing of ewido's name from ewido antimalware to ewido antispyware :mad:

Now every body mistakenly compares ewido to other anti-spyware progs like Spysweeper and spywaredoctor and for sure ewido has nothing to do with spyware.

ewido's power and effectivness come from it's wonderful capability of detecting and preventing trojans specially those embeded in runtime packers, i couldn't find a runtime packed trojan that ewido doesn't detect, while i can find a punch of all kinds of trojans that both spysweeper and spyware doctor missed silently and happily even there are basic trojans that anti-spyware progs missing easily.

Imagine that some review compare Boclean and Spysweeper in the field of spyware prevention, in this case if spysweeper got 10 degrees boclean will get 3 only and this is completely unfair. but to defend against trojans no one can depend on spysweeper or spyware doctor.

This PcMag's review is the price that Grisoft should pay for it's non-wise decision of changing ewido marketing name, it leaves anti-trojan market for it's competitors while having big difficulties in anti-spyware market competition.

Another big point that many know, which is PcMag reviews are not trustable among many power users, as it is enough to notice that they always give Norton crap thier reward of Best Choice and this is more than I can withstand to loose every drop of trust in PcMag's reviews.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

they were supposed to do it for marketing. U can guess that very few home users will buy a satndalone AT while many people will of course buy a standalone AS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.