PcMag Review of KIS 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vijayind, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

2. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

LOL.
    Someone has to pay the milk for children.

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Haha
    I'm affraid so

4. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Maybe its just me, but having read this review I don't see how it only garnered 3 stars. Rubenking doesn't really refute the primary functions of the application - its AntiVirus, AntiMalware, and Firewall functionality. He's more upset with what I would call "peripheral" components - AntiSpam, AntiPhishing, and Parental Control. Maybe its just me, but I consider those almost fluff for an Internet Security Suite.

AntiSpam? Most tools have effective antispam already built in - And alot of this should already get filtered at the ISP level.

AntiPhishing? Firefox's (and even IE's) antiphishing is considered pretty good. I remember seeing a test where they beat out most of the security suite's filters in fact.

Parental Control? Besides my personal opinion that parental control is done best by parents and not software, I don't really consider this security (unless the offending page has malware, in which case the real components of the suite kick in).

So Kaspersky secures a PC very well (per his own admission), but due to these peripheral pieces not working the way he wants it gets 3 stars? I don't think he's trying to rip KIS off, as much as he's putting too much weight on the wrong components.

5. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

KIS2009 will not detect and AUTOMATICALLY remove any heuristically detected threats. You can change the settings to do that but it does not do that out of the box. Thats not good enough for the vast majority of users that are PC Mag's audience. You popup and alert asking the user what they want to do and well you will get a THREE in the review.

In sharp contrast you look at NIS2009 Beta and SONAR will detect and automatically remove all heuristically detected threats. Norton understands what works for users and what doesn't.

6. CountryGuy

Of course, SONAR won't be available to us 64 bit users, so not a great example for us all :D

7. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

That, IMHO is a very moot point. Symantec does it its way and the others do it theirs. Personally, Symantec's approach DOES NOT work for me whilst KIS's does. So WHO "understands what works for users and what doesn't" o_O It a personal choice which is why I think that PCMag reviews are interesting, well researched and written but I would not set huge store by them in terms of choosing my security apps!:-* Try it out and see before you buy...that is the way!

8. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

Frankly that appals me. If a user suddenly finds that an application stops working how does he find out that Norton has removed it because of a heuristic false positive.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

So, why is PC Mag not good. Because of how it rated Kaspersky products? Give me a break, maybe that review is accurate. Ok, then what reviews of Kasperskys products are accurate, the ones where it scores 5 out of 5 stars.

PC Mag has been around for awhile. It, like others are either trash or temple gold on how they rate "your" product. I see reasons based on the sample set. I see reasons based on what version did they use.

Personally, I put a lot more credence in all tests and publications and look for that common thread. I am amazed at the criteria others use to make their determinations. Please dont get me wrong, for I am not critizing how it is done, but just trying to understand. I will admit when I look at reviews of all products, they are not 100 percent on target of my viewpoint if it is a product I have usde, but it is normally pretty close. Just my 2 cents.

10. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

From my experience of Neil Rubenking's reviews, most of his IS reviews always sight the following as negatives:-

* Weak Anti-Spam
    * Frivolous Parent Control

I've been using KIS2009 since it came out and I've got no complaints with it. For me, it's light and I believe it offers very good protection. Regarding the above points, I haven't installed anti-spam or parental control as I don't need either of them.

Unless it says Norton in the title, then Jarvis Cocker, sorry Neil Rubenking, will never give more than 3.5.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Not so true

here

12. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Is it possible that there is no phish sites for KLab from 6.8.2008, also malicious scripts are not found by KLab from 7.7.2008 :eek:
    See screen:
    15.8.png

13. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

64-bit is not a large enough market right now. Next year I am sure they will have support for SONAR.

14. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Wouldn't hold my breath for sure. E.g., their ThreatSense is hard disabled even on 32bit servers with their SEP11. :rolleyes:

15. CountryGuy

Then they should say that.

And by then I'll be on another product. I purchased 2008 with their grand announcement of 64 bit support, yet features great and small were turned off or simply not working.

Don't tell me as a customer - particularly when we're talking about security products - that it works on an OS when many of the features don't. At the very least make it clear what doesn't work. They probably lost me as a customer for good since I feel they put my PC at risk (as my installation was missing functionality I assumed was there from the box).

16. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Honestly, if you said that LAST year, I would have agreed, but not now.

17. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

with todays computers everyones is completly different, which is why you have to test an AV on your machine before just buying, it also depends on what else is loaded at the time, a friend of mine has so many security apps loading & other apps it's a wonder he has a mem left or bandwidth to go anywhere. WHile it is nice to get other opinions the only one that matters is yours...

18. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Point taken.

19. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Ok off topic just a smig. im curious why dont they code for 64bit. is it that much better then 32. ? I never really looked into it but I have seen alot of people complain about the 64 bit not getting the attention it should Im just curious why ?

Edit.

Also cant 32 bit run in a 64 bit environment ? I thought it was basically backwards compatible ?

20. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

- Lack of coding skills...
    - M$ issues (e.g., all drivers have to be signed to get loaded on Vista/2008 x64, no messing with kernel allowed etc.)

21. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

No AV's heuristics are good enough to allow it to automatically remove what it considers threats,too easy for a false +ve to fall foul of them

22. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Typical PC magazine review once again,Everything Gets 3.5 stars Oh Except Norton always 4.5stars.They should review there reviews past and present, they just might see they suck at reviews.:rolleyes:

23. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

A very kind gesture from PcMag indeed :rolleyes: -love the nortons ads of this 'unbiased' magazine :rolleyes:

24. CountryGuy

The problem isn't his review, I really don't think its biased - The problem is his methodology. He puts too much weight on "extras" like Anti-Spam and Parental Controls. If you look at it in that context, he's right. He even says in the article that the actual malware protection is very good.

Just saying that the article is obviously biased sounds like sour grapes.

25. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I think the problem is he gave NISS 4.5 stars and also said their anti-spam and parental controls were not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.