PCLOS Gnome 2.21.2 in a VM (how to)

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by innerpeace, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I'm wanting to install this in a VM so I can learn more about linux. I'm wanting to keep the changes I make, so I guess a VM can do this. I'm running XP home with 896MB of RAM. My 100GB internal HDD has a 40GB C: partition, a 20GB D: data partition and 40GB that's unallocated. I already have the .ISO stored in my D: partition and a live cd burnt. I like PCLOS so far (2 nights) and everything seems to be working from the live cd.

I am new to VM's and Linux. What is the best way to approach setting up PCLOS in a VM with my current configuration? Which free VM software would be best for me (newbie)? I had a look at Mrk's site and he suggests VMware player.

Please point me in the right direction. I'm willing to learn and hope to one day use XP in a VM on Linux :).

innerpeace

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

you can either use vmware or virtualbox.i personally think virtualbox is best..

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,

Actually, the Player advice was before Server was even in beta - and it has advanced significantly since. In the installation tutorials, I mention the Server as well. Server is a very good choice too.

To setup the VMware Player / Server properly, you should be able to configure your firewall on the host machine to allow these guest operating systems.

Finally, I advice you to install for yourself - not use the pre-built image. This way, you'll learn how to install and configure for yourself.

Mrk

5. innerpeace

Thanks everyone for your help. I've downloaded VMware player and I'm running PCLOS with the LiveCD player. I'm not sure if my changes will be saved when I'm finished or not. I'm also not sure that I like using the LiveCD player, however it does save me from rebooting.

The internet works fine as far as I can tell. I didn't have to set anything up. I installed VMware with OA2 in learning mode. In the Ethernet settings, should I be running bridged, NAT or Host-only? Which is the safest? Is it normal and safe to have 6 System processes listening on ports with VMware installed? They are 192.168 addresses with ports 137,138,139. I just looked and NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled for the 2 VM network adapters so that could explain it. Can I disable Netbios over TCP/IP for the 2 VM adapters? I already have it disabled in my LAN.

I also think it would be a good idea to install PCLOS myself. Can I do this with EasyVMX and the instructions WSFuser provided or are the instructions just for live cds? It didn't look like I could use the super simple edition to accomplish this. Just to be clear, there is a difference between running a live cd (either real or with LiveCD player) and actually installing PCLOS from the live cd ( .ISO ) right? If I have it installed, could I see if I can get my hardware configured and keep changes? I'm confused.

Thanks,
    innerpeace

6. WSFuser

When you run the LiveCD, the menu probably has options to install the distro, run the LiveCD, among other choices. So when you get that menu just choose to install.

7. innerpeace

Thanks WSFuser, I think I'm just going to try installing it and see what happens. In EasyVMX, what do I select for "Virtual Machine Operating System:"? Would it be Generic Linux 2.6.x? Here's the link I'm looking at. http://www.easyvmx.com/supersimple.shtml

8. WSFuser

Yeah that probably the right choice.

9. innerpeace

I'm having a problem with VMware player. The toolbar cannot be unpinned when I click the maximize button. I can't get the mouse to interact with the toolbar. I'm getting a headache :( . Does VMware Server have this problem? What is the difference between the player and server versions?

10. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I also use virtualbox with Windows XP and opensuse. I love using snapshots with the xp vm.

I reccommend you use virtualbox. It guides you through the whole setup process from creating a virtual disk to actually installing something onto it.

11. WSFuser

innerpeace - press ctrl-alt then try to interact with the toolbar

12. innerpeace

I do that, but it brings up the full VMware window. I was able to finally unpin it by trying a different pre-configured session which didn't have anything at the top of the linux screen. It was the ICEWM session. After I did that, then double mouse cursors appears when I get close to the the top of the screen. I tried the Gnome session after that and the toolbar was still unpinned, but the mouse had double cursors again and wouldn't go certain places. Would installing the proper mouse software in PCLOS possibly fix this? If so, where in the world would I find it? It's a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 and MS makes many other models. It's a usb wireless mouse, but I have it connected with the usb to PS/2 adapter. The USB started giving me troubles a while back.

Thanks,
    innerpeace

edit: (removed one useless sentence) I also wanted to say that it's kind of working now, but it's very sensitive. When I click maximize to go to the guest and don't touch the mouse, the toolbar stays permanently pinned which I don't mind. The problem now is getting the thing unpinned without first signing into another session first before the Gnome session.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.