PCLOS dev team splitting ??

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Longboard, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

2. Longboard

Info:
    http://tinyusers.co.cc/?p=120
    http://tinymelinux.com/doku.php/news:tinyme-split

Some ongoing dialogue: :(
    Looks like some seriously po'd peeps here and there.
    http://forums.raiden.net/viewtopic....&start=0&sid=8b66a9091c0300e860c5a6ba981ddf1f

Cant find anything on PCLOS main page ?? :doubt:

New TinyMe webpages and forums: more info :
    http://tinymelinux.com/doku.php
    http://forum.tinymelinux.com/index.php/topic,673.0.html

It's a shame when this happens: hopefully something good will come out of this for all.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  3. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

This is the first I have heard about this, and I have been visiting the forum fairly frequently since the upgrade/install. It's a shame, but things happen. I'm liking 2009 so far, and hope it can continue on the same path. But such is life when using a distro with a small developer base.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Ouch. I used them for quite some time in the past and remember all those guys. I hope things work out, and only God and the people directly involved know what happened, but with the finger pointing going on, it isn't going to get settled anytime soon. If "Cookie" is Tex, and actually I think it is based on my own past experiences with his posts, time to quit hiding behind another nickname and spill the beans on what's really going on. The personal issues may not be their users' business, but the state of the distro is.

Benny is right though, you get a small group of people together on a project with differences of opinions and possibly a few cases of the "green-eyed monster", and the poop is gonna get stirred in the pot. Time will tell, in the meantime just be prepared to move on if it comes to it. As long as the repos work and the updates are coming, things will be OK on your side of the deal.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well whatever happens. I wish all involved well. Because my experience with PCLOS & the forum has been better than any other distro & forum I've tried. I can honestly say if not for FastGame & others here a couple years ago I would probably have given up on Linux. It all changed for me after I was steered to PCLOS & their very helpful forum.

6. Longboard

OK rising to the surface now..
    See latest DW news for more:
    http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090330#news

All sounds very messy, lots of bruised psyches.
    Lots of fingerpointing and name calling.
    With any luck: PCLOS will go on and we may get another crop of effective desktop releases, but, from my perspective so sad to see these fractures amongst what seemed a strong group with what at first was a really spreading user base: never can tell. :doubt:
    The second or even most popular Linux desktop of 2007/2008 implodes. :(

Would Ubuntu go on if the Shuttle decided to pull out ?: can any distro without a strong corporate structure or with a tyrant for a prime leader go on when the prime dev calls it a day.

Does this mean Linux will continously recyle itself on the fringes of breakthrough to the GP. ??
    Stay tuned for PV to call it quits; would any one bar DW readers even notice ??

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Um excuse my ignorance/ fuzzy Monday morning head. Who/what is PV & what would they be quitting?

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Guess which.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, being "out of the loop", I can't say a lot. However, an opinion on where things went wrong:

1. Before Tex walked for a year, there should have been (if there in fact wasn't) communication with everyone on the team about who was going to be doing what. I can't blame the "boys" as Solis calls them, for that.

2. The "boys" should have been a bit more responsible and worked with her instead of against her (if that is what really happened, that part of the story is where you can see personal issues between her and them that aren't being brought up...or plain jealousy).

3. When Tex came back, again, lack of communication happened. You don't just change the passwords and halt the thing dead in the water....I'm sorry, but the devs and the "community" couldn't have effed the release up THAT bad. Though honestly having the community work on a distro instead of just providing feedback is not the way I feel it should be done, even if Linux is a community thing.

In any case, now that this thing has been made public, there's a good chance the whole thing could blow up in their face and have them watching users themselves walking out the door. Sides will be taken, you can be assured of that.

10. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Amen brother.

11. tlu

tlu Guest

This confirms my view that hopping from one distro to another is fun particularly if these distros offer things others don't - but if you want to make a well-founded, long-term decision only the large distros with a stable infrastructure, a large development crew and a driving force behind them should be considered.

Statements like, e.g., this one for PuppyLinux ...
    ... always make me nervous. ;)

12. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

13. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I think PV stands for Patrick Volkerding, the creator and maintainer of Slackware, but I may be mistaken

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

14. Longboard

ooopps sorry zapjb, yes PV = slackware
    Apologies for being unneccessarily cryptic, couldn't remember the spelling and was in a hurry; hence somewhat garbled post. :oops:
    She has moderated herself right off the web ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.