PCLinuxOS 2012.2 Released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by TheKid7, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

2. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

I'm waiting for release with latest kernel and KDE (4.8 ) :)

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Sadly its a one man effort unlike Fedora, Ubuntu etc. Like LMDE, all the promises of rolling release depends on that one man himself to release it. Till now, there is no x64 in PCLOS and all we get is excuses when 4GB is now the norm in netbooks :D

LMDE is another one thats literally going down the drain, Clem bit off more than he could chew, this was an excellent concept and had the potential to be the best rolling release distro as compared to the hairy likes of Arch, sidux etc. but now the updates are lesser and lesser, most packages in LMDE are older than Oneiric :(

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So the Enlightenment version is pretty much gone?

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i guess no later kernel 3x and kde 4.8

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Good news! I'm Already there, but I have one laptop I want to start off fresh. I've installed a few other desktop environments s to play with and what to go back to a clean KDE.

Enlightenment is still around, it is available in Synaptic. I have it installed as one of the DE's I've been playing with.

7. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I've got a lot of love for pclinuxos. It's one of only a handful of distros that will successfully and consistantly suspend and resume my desktop and was the only distro a few years back to get the broadcom wireless chip working on a dell laptop I owned.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I just installed this one yesterday, and I can say that I have finally found the distro that I can stick with and live with. This has it all for me, everything works with just a few tweaks, and it's just so easy and complete. Very nicely done. And I honestly can't say that for most of the others. OpenSUSE 12.1 was the only other close competitor for me.

Anyhow, I might move to linux permanently if all goes well. The fact that there is no x64 version doesn't bother me at all. Everything is fast and snappy as is. This was the first distro I used for a long time about 6 years ago, and now, here I am back with it again. :)

9. linuxforall

You need to try Chakra then :}

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Haha... I just might have to do that.... :) But I gotta tell ya, I'm pretty happy with PCLOS right now....

11. linuxforall

You will be but Chakra goes a step further as it uses latest kernel and its fully x64 as well as a rolling release like PCLOS.

12. moontan

moontan Registered Member

which one are you using?
    the Phoenix or the KDE version?

13. tlu

tlu Guest

I tried it but found the package management with the bundles a bit weird. Let's say, something you need to get used to ...

And since you said that PCLOS is a one man effort - how is the situation with Chakra? Significantly better?

14. linuxforall

The bundle is exactly what attracts me most and makes Chakra top notch.The GTK apps are kept in their own cage and now allowed to clutter all over, when you uninstall, they leave no traces. Its KDE done right. Chakra is democracy, it has a team and is far better implemented than PCLOS.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The KDE version here.. I love it because everything works, no hassles.... :)

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I may try a live cd, but honestly, I'm content now. x64 doesn't attract me, nor does the latest kernel. Rolling release is nice, yes....

17. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx kerodo. :)

i'll check it out.

18. linuxforall

PCLOS has bfs kernel which does well in desktop but its old and doesnt incorporate the myriads of improvements including power consumption found in latest kernel 3. x64 is for those using 4gb or more RAM. Both PCLOS and Chakra are RR.

19. mack_guy911

best is what stable on our pc and what make us happy to use :D

20. mack_guy911

today i used xfce of pclinux 2012.2 highly impressed

best XFCE so far by default very easy use fast stable i like it more than kde to be honest :thumb:

edit: many small tweaks include like drag drop icons root accesss on right click it dosent make me feel like running linux or some geek distro so simple and sweet just like xp :)

21. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LOL
    Thats wht we like: the tools that "git 'er done"

22. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi linuxforall
    Running PCLinuxOS KDE 2012 [Dual boot with Win7 x64] with no problem using kernel-2.6.38.8-pclos3.pae/bfs from the Repo,, on my newly built system:-

Asus P9X79 PRO, Intel i7-3960X, Asus AMD HD7970, GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 16GB [8x2], WD Velociraptor 600GB.
    Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

PS: The type of MB Memory used, not mine. :D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.