PC Tools: Powered by Symantec

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Not sure whether this is significant news, but all PC Tools products will now adopt Symantec's logo and check mark.

http://www.pctools.com/company/brand/

Personally, I still say "meh" because I've had far from the best support experience from PC Tools or Symantec. But YMMV :)

2. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

now only if they could improve the free version that would be great.

3. gery

gery Registered Member

and revive threatfire again

4. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

PC Tools AntiVirus Free 9.0.0.2298 has been released yesterday. Wondering if they share the same virus definitions/engine with Symantec? Any idea ?

5. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I guess that its worth trying out. I'm waiting till they revive threatfire. I think that with some interest and work, it could be great once again.

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

That's an interesting question.

I'd guess that they don't,since they haven't previously and there'd be no point keeping the same basic product under 2 different names.Conversely not sharing information between the 2 entities makes little sense also.o_O

7. Firecat

PC Tools paid versions use their own engine as well as Symantec's engine + definitions (however, it seems Symantec's pulse updates are not there).

I believe PC Tools AV Free uses only the Symantec engine + definitions and updates once a day.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think they should just kill PC Tools lineup entirely. :D
    It does not seem like they are really interested in investing and improving PC Tools software like their main lineup. :D

9. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Apparently, PC Tools does use of ThreatFire rather than SONAR

10. kjdemuth

Uggh. The PCtools free AV is a total slug. I don't know if it was just because it was running in VM but it took 1 1/2 hours and it was only at 37%. That was a full scan on a clean VM. It also wasn't the best at catching things. It seemed like it missed all the ITW malware. The free version doesn't have threatfire and the web shield. Maybe that's why it didn't do to well.

11. Mirin

Mirin Registered Member

After an update, AV Free turned into Spyware Doctor with AV Trial here.

12. Firecat

Yes, uses ThreatFire and analysis from ThreatExpert. SONAR and Norton Insight are not used in any PC Tools product. The cloud is also different from Symantec's cloud but there seems to be sharing of data between clouds based on recent cloud detections I've been having. However, Symantec's scan engine and malware definitions are still used.

PC Tools relies on the cloud to reduce FPs so scans without an Internet connection will yield considerably more FPs. They will probably never make it comparable to Norton because PC Tools operates as Symantec's "budget brand" and is intended to compete with cheaper vendors like Avast, AVG, Avira, BitDefender etc. (that being said, it is still a very decent product at least as far as protection goes).

PC Tools is a generally buggy product and you actually feel it as you start using it. To be frank I couldn't understand how a product without polish has Symantec's tag on it.

@kjdemuth: The engine is slow at first scan. Later scans are usually faster. There are also a few bugs related to detection and maybe you have run into one of them.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  13. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

well Hope they revive ThreatFire and Make all Pctool lineup Free

14. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

protection components are unrelated to on-demand scans

15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Yes I free Spyware Doctor is something I have been waiting for since they killed Spyware Doctor Starter.

16. kjdemuth

Yeah I know that. Thanks. :rolleyes:

17. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

For all you who are interested in TF I thought I would repost this thread by Kees1958. There may be more recent ones but this will get you on the right track. Its about setting up custom rules in Threatfire. I would love to see some testing on this...anyone keen? Oh and thanks again to kees1958 for this awesome post.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183020

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

runs like a dog on my system... no thank you..i have a i7 overclocked on water and still made the system drag pretty badly..

19. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Didnt have eny kind of drag with Threatfire, i liked it. Except for some reason Sandboxie didnt like TF. Gave me memory error whenever i opened sandboxed program, so i had to move away :/

20. carat

carat Guest

As far as I know the free version has no rootkit protection and no behaviour blocker ... :doubt:

21. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Are you talking about Threatfire? You do know that Threatfire is a free behavior blocker right?

22. carat

carat Guest

Sorry, PC Tools Free AV :)

Edit: Where can I find the free AV? :doubt:

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  23. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

24. Tele2k

Tele2k Registered Member

I installed the free AV on my Lenovo Win 7 laptop, and it is very light. It works well with the free PC Tools Firewall.

Not sure about rootkit, etc...

VW

25. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Seems that they're getting a way close to freemium model and will release a free antivirus side-by-side with Norton. Of course, just rumors :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.