pc tools internet security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by webbit, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webbit

webbit Registered Member

my friend has pc tools internet security on her laptop, with vista basic and what is supposed to be 1 gig of ram, but only shows 756mb, since installing pc tools the machine has gone so slow its nearly stopping, any idea

Thanks

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

756mb ram is simply too little for Vista. The problem with PC Tools Internet Security may just be the additional ram it needs. The best thing would be to add another gig to the laptop. You will see a big improvement in performance. If that's not an option then you could try removing PC Tools IS and installing AVG or Avast! which should have less impact (don't forget to turn on the Vista Firewall).

3. webbit

webbit Registered Member

thanks very much thought that was my option, got another gig of ram from crucial for £11, bargain and looked on youe tube its very easy to fit.

4. webbit

webbit Registered Member

i know this is not the topic but the reason i put on pc toolswas because of a very bad infection which avira freee edition was not deleting so i installed malwarebytes anti malware and this pc tools, as far as i know all is clean but as i said the performance is bad, will post results when new ram is installed

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Are you certain the infection is gone?

6. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

756 or 768? I'd wager that 256MB is shared w/ onboard video.

IMO PCTools IS is extremely bloated and unstable. Do a search on this forum and you won't find many positive things about PCTools. You'd be better off uninstalling it and switching to a free suite of tools or purchasing a quality ISS.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I don't know what your thoughts are concerning Trend's suite but a guy I work with uninstalled it and put on PC Tools Spyware Doctor suite and says his lap top runs very fast now. I did warn him that the general consensus was that PC Tools used a lot of resources compared to some others in case he ever wants to check out alternatives.

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

In your friends case it just so happens that PCT runs better on his system than Trend managed to do.

IMO Trend has always been mediocre at best. Unless you have a fairly recent pc it will bog your system down. Detection/removal capabilities are nothing spectacular. Trend pulled out of VB100 testing since they keep failing....

In any event Best Buy heavily promotes Trend, and whenever I am called to clean up a pc I tend to cringe when I see it (much like Mcafee and pre 2007 Norton). There are more robust free options out there. In the end I'd rather save my customer money by not having to pay dearly for security software renewals. They also end up with a more resource-friendly system.

9. webbit

webbit Registered Member

i have ran malwarebyes and pc tools eventually and got a clean report

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

And yet the performance is bad. Has it always been bad, or just since the infection?
    Also check and maybe answer the query above about the RAM amount (756 or 768?) and possible reason.

11. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I've started using PC tools Internet sercurity 2009 on a laptop running Vista and 2GB of Ram. It's terrible because the program slows my laptop down to crawl and Ram usage is to heavy for my liking. PC Tools Internet sercurity is far worse than Mcafee IMO. The only praise is it's protection level, but a shame the program sucks and not really worth installing if you like to do things with your PC. The License I'm using was free with a magazine, so thankfully I didn't pay for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.