PC Tools AntiVirus Free 7.0.0.545

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AvinashR, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

Yeah, I had already cosidered that but didn't think it would entirely account for such a 'chasm' between them.

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Lol, but that's the fact. I think PC Tools will learn from this incident. But this result is from 3 months old PC Tools engine version. They have updated in betwwen and I wish we will see a good result this november.

3. progress

progress Guest

I think that's the reality :) On-demand detection seems to be good, but as Matthijs said: There are no proactive features in the free version! :ouch:

All the other freebies have better proactive features ...

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

No.. Proactive defense means heuristics is there in free version. Only BB protection from Threatfire part is absent. That can be installed separately.:)

5. progress

progress Guest

But where? All the proactive shields are not available.

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Oho, heuristic engine is itself within the file guard.:)

7. progress

progress Guest

Great heuristic engine :oops:

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

This is not their present heuristic engine. Lets hope it is better now.:)

9. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I recently installed this program (PC Tools AV Free 7) on my desktop because I got infected with a nasty case of Licum/Tenga virus and wanted to reinforce my defenses. I was able to clean the infection, but lost 2 days on that computer, plus I need to reinstall Matlab now.

For on-demand scans I prefer a2cmd and ClamWinPortable. The thing I like about this program is that it gives you decent real-time protection for free, but you can also turn it off completely when you don't think you need it.

On the minus side, it took me 3 attempts to fully install/update it (mind you I was partially infected at the time - I had restored a clean image of the system partition, but the virus was still present on another partition). Also, I had problems booting/running the computer with it active (maybe conflicts with other programs/firewall) - anyway, it seems to be okay for now (after a bunch of whitelisting).*

Question: What would be a better free choice for real-time protection that can be turned on and off (not just semi-off), that is, on-demand real-time malware protection?

* other protection: Prevx Free + Look 'n' Stop firewall (probably configured badly) when I got infected + Rising PC Doctor for on-demand real-time stuff plus system vulnerability fixes. After virus I switched to Online Armor Free for firewall, and added PCTAV and Trend Micro RUBotted. (Currently I keep Prevx off when PCTAV is on and vice versa). a2cmd and others for on-demand scans.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.