PC Shuts down when tried to run AV scan

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tamba1, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tamba1

tamba1 Registered Member

Hi I have just had a call from a friends who has been experiencing her pc shutting down unexpectedlly.. ( she said it shut down after a few mins or when she tried openign Firefox)

Syst Details
    Toshiba–EA60-199 Model No: PSA67E -00J00C8J
    18 GB Free & 19 GB used
    512MB RAM
    Celeron 2.93GH processor

Running WinXp Home
    NIS 2006

I have had a look remotely and was using it for about 30 minswith no issues using logmeinitreach software ..

Had just clicked on the Norton Internet security Full system scan which has not been run in a long time and the PC shut down NOW it won't reboot at all.??

There was nothing showing in the event manager log, for the time of day it was shutting down earlier on.. I was wondering if it is a faulty power supply?

Apparantly she can hear some whirring but nothing else happens..

Any advice ? short of taking it to a PC workshop.

Many Thanks
    tamba1

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it is a virus, i have had this kind of thing before, Just reboot in safemode and run Norton + AVPtool Clean the file and you should be ok.

If you cant get into Safe-Mode try Re-formatting the pc,

And it is possibly a faulty PSU but try the other methods first.

http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

try drweb cureit from safe mode as well use the drweb link in my sig.
    does sound like its a fauly psu thou.
    have you got a spare one you could try?

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

There has been a fault going around for awhile reported on Toshiba laptops. It's to do with the CPU fan.

A friend's Toshiba kept shutting down only when the virus scanner was running as the CPU worked harder and the fan would start. I later found out it's a system measure to stop it from overheating.

Either there's a clump of dust caught in it, which you can dislodge by blowing it out or following set cleaning instructions, or it's being used on say a bed cover and suffering cooling/airflow problems, or the CPU fan is faulty altogether. People have reported Toshiba fixing the CPU fan out of warranty as it's a known fault.

In my friend's case it was just dust and the fan wasn't spinning properly. No problems since. :thumb:

See link:
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=laptop+fan+toshiba&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.