PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 Beta Program

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chubb, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I use to use their progrom since 03 & it has always been high & it's ineffective on trojans I'd move on since they seem set on backwards thinking...

2. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

The new beta is doing as well as the previous one,brilliant with no problems what so ever...:D :D

3. edwardk

edwardk Registered Member

How are you finding memory usage and hit on the CPU?

4. Legendkiller

quite usual..

5. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Very high RAM usage and regular 100% CPU peaks? :p

6. Legendkiller

nothing sort of that happened to me,it is working here w/o any 100% cpu usages and stuff.

7. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

PC cillin 2007 beta is fine until you try to excute a known trojan which is known as downloader.harnig.
    http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2004-081411-1341-99 followed by error no 3417 247(saying that no network device is found). I wrote to them about this bug and beta team said they will try to mend it in next beta build. I am counting because same thing happened with beta 1 and now with beta 2.

8. edwardk

I have been using Trend for about 4 years now and my one major complaint is their detection rate. I do wish they would optimize their resource consumption but Trend's catch rate has been dropping (AV Comparatives, Virus Bulletin, etc).

They need to add newer bleeding edge detection technologies. Once my subscription is up, I may switch over to a NOD32 and ZoneAlarm combination unless Trend does a major overhaul of PCC2007. So far my testing has not indicated improved performance in pcc2007 over 2006 or 2005. It looks like they just added a couple of small Bell's and Whistles.

9. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

How good this suite against rootkits? I can see there is a anti-rootkit driver.

10. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

I had disabled Pccillin and installed Elite Keylogger. After I've started Pccillin and have run a full scan. Pccillin couldn't find elite keylogger. But F-Secure blacklight and Bitdefender Anti-rootkit can find. So Pccillin's anti-rootkit driver isn't good enough;) .

11. edwardk

I can confim the above. I have tested PCC2007 with some rootkits and have had similar results. I have submitted a detailed email to the beta mailbox but have not yet heard back from the team.

All my initial submissions had at least a confirmation of receipt within 24 hours but my latest emails have not. I am not sure if they have been overwealmed by testers or if they stopped reading the beta mailbox. What is going on over there at Trend Labs.

Cheers

ed

12. Technic

Hi!

I have noticed that too, they won't respond your emails anymore. :blink:

13. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Don't worry, they will respond.

14. Technic

Oh, thanks for the info. :D

15. edwardk

Hi guys

I received the following info from Trend yesterday concerning the resource usage comment I made:

"We have a new build version of PC-cillin 2007 that might be a better performer. Please uninstall 2007 then re-install using this installer from our website: http://betadownload.trendmicro.com/pc_cillin/PCC15Beta2Kit.zip"

Hopefully a couple of Wilders readers will be able to try this new version and post their findings here.

Enjoy

Ed

16. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

This is not a new build!!! This is the beta 2 version released on 14 Aug 06.

17. edwardk

I had the same suspicion but I am not sure if this is a variant to beta2 or if it is the original beta 2 release.

Cheers

Ed

18. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

This is the original first release of beta 2, nothing has changed. :)

19. edwardk

Because I had the same thought this morning, I sent a reply to the Trend mailbox and am waiting for their reply.

I have been using trend for the last 3 years but unless they deliver a truly well designed kit, I will move to a NOD32 / ZA / Process Guard combo

20. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

If you download the file and view its contents, you can see that the file size and content is the same as the first beta 2 downloaded a week ago.

21. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I don't normally use security suites and my ventures with this one would not entice me back to them again. I installed their Beta on a test computer updates servers are flaky similar with e-mail reponses at first reply almost by return but now it is longer although I do realise we are working with a beta product.
    I have had an issue with thier AS component detecting a false positive with software which I have had throughly tested by an expert who has confirmed the software is 100% clean. Interesting to note the method used by Trend to detect was described s 'not very elegant' as they only used a part name of a real Trojan to stop the install when the actual full install doesn't have any sort of trojan. Reported to Trend but it will take a while to remove from the detection list.

I have only realised after watching boot up how long Trend actually takes to load. I much prefer NOD32 as my AV and a choice of software for my other layers. Even on minimal install I got everything - firewall drivers although the firewall isn't active as I didn't want this. Trend turns off Windows firewall automatically even when I selected not to have their firewall at install (for specific reasons)

22. edwardk

I am also considering NOD32... Their new version is suppose to be a suite but they have not released any details yet. I am testing NOD on a test machine and the speed and detection rate is amazing.

I emailed virus testing comparaisons to the beta mailbox and have not received a response yet. Trend does not seem to have a heuristics engine.

23. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

hi whats the next one Beta 3 or RC ?? is CPU any betteR?? thnx

24. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

We have RC1 and for cpu usage i did not notice much difference. I was busy seeing its new features which includes trend secure- online transaction security tool. It looks better. I was given a one year license key with the email mentioning its rc1 release. It's already available on amazon websitefor 50 us dollars. The good news is that one license is valid on upto three computers.

25. Legendkiller

Ashish,
    Did you get an automated e-mail from them or you went to their site and downloaded the new buildo_O
    Also,the new build is 91.43Mb :eek: :eek: :eek:
    What all has been added:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.