PC-cillin Internet Security 2006(screenshots)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sher, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I have to agree with BigC. Have used NIS for a number of years with absolutely no ill effects to my PC. It has caught a number of viruses attempting to come aboard.......none have got through. 2005 version was a great improvement and 2006 is even better. 2005 uninstalled quickly and effectively. One reboot and then I installed 2006 with no trouble at all. It is more responsive than before, lighter on resource and covers just about all relevant angles. The Anti Spyware component is new and as such there is no doubt room for improvement (but then again I run another spyware detector as a layered defense is best). So NIS works for me.

My point is.......why do we have to diss other products. I trialled PC-Cillin IS (I always check out the market at the end of a subscription) and decided for a number of reasons that it was not for me, so I went for NIS2006. I am sure that PC-Cillin IS 2006 is a capable product. It would just be nice to get objective views as to its capabilities.

Regards

Baldrick

2. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I have a little horror story to tell. I installed TMIS 2006 yesterday. But being the way that I am, I had to give NAV 2006 a try. So this morning I decided to uninstall TMIS 2006 and install NAV 2006. Well it didn't go smoothly to say the least. I uninstall TMIS, rebooted, and my interned connection was gone. So I reinstalled it, and my internet connection is back. I tried uninstalling the TMIS firewall first this time. Rebooted, no internet connection. Reinstalled the firewall, rebooted, still no internet connection. Uninstalled the whole thing again, rebooted, reinstalled TMIS, internet connection back. I didn't want to go through the whole process again, so I gave Trend Micro tech support a call. After putting me on hold for about five minutes, she had me go into the TMIS folder>TMIS Tools>General Tab>click on Uninstall Modules. (I think Uninstall Modules is correct. I can't remember exactly because my head hurts.) I was able to unistall, and have my internet connection back.

I'm not sure if it was the TMIS firewall that caused all this. I should have asked, but I was tired and so happy to have my internet connection back, I forgot. I am very impressed with TM's tech support, but I'm not sure I'll install TMIS again. All I enabled was the AV, firewall and spyware modules, so I don't know if it's worth it for me to run TMIS.

3. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

This isn't a software whoring forum. You should read the TOS before posting.
    Besides, what kind of reputable security forum would recommend cracked software for online protection? That's like suggesting a gasoline bath before welding metal.

4. SpeedyBlueAngel

SpeedyBlueAngel Registered Member

hi, im from trendmicro and im part of the support team that handles Pc-cillin Internet Security. Win98/SE/ME will be supported by TIS2006. =)

5. fanghaoji

fanghaoji Registered Member

Ha,..........it looks so cool. I want to know how much it is.:D

6. simp

simp Guest

The new norton 2006 is nice,I like it...anyone know where is the cheapest place to get it online? Maybe like 20 bucks or something...

7. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Sher, don't take this wrong, but you just don't get it. You cite reviews from sources that don't use scientific testing (PCWorld, PCMag, cNet, ZDNet etc..), in many cases the tests are conducted by amateurs who know nothing about AV technologies aside from what they derive from marketing collateral (a parrot or monkey could write the review) and sometimes the writer just regurgitates test data that the AV companies send in. Bottom line is that the reviews you refer to are not valid.

Not to mention, ever notice that the only companies included in the tests are ones that advertise with the magazines? Ever notice that the AV apps not included don't advertise in the magazines? Doesn't that make you wonder?

Every test I have seen and every trial I have conducted resulted in TMIS being a mediocre performer with higher resource usage than the competition. Yes it is not a bad program for an amateur to use but most people that I know, novice and experts alike, would sacrifice a bit of usability for much better detection.

Your ignorance is further validated by your comment regarding av-comparatives. The author of av-comparatives is a well respected individual in the AV community. Name one reason why you think the results are suspect.

Do the other supposedly credible "tests" you refer to give the same detailed results regarding the test sample and methodology used? Do these "tests" explain the background of the person conducting the test and credentials of the person writing the review? There are plenty of other independent and unbiased review sites out there that support the results found on av-comparatives.

Bottom line is that it just seems like you're trying to stir things up. This is a board of security enthusiasts, many of whom know a great deal about AV/AT/Malware/Spyware. Might be a good idea to read and listen rather than take a stand totally based in ignorance.

I played with it BTW, my response is "meh, par for the course from TM". Wouldn't use it even if it was given to me for free.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

AV-Comparatives only tests products with the vendors' approval so it's quite possible that Trend Micro did not consent to being included in the tests (which would then lead to the obvious question, why?). For example, Sophos is not going to appear in future tests since they have asked to be removed.

Finally there are other AV products not included in Comparatives (e.g. F-Secure, Panda, UNA) - just because you don't know of them doesn't mean they don't exist.

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Maybe they are afraid for the results?;)

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

IMO They are quite grateful to see how their product is....TrendMicro is not ALL about marketing, they do develop and improve their product. :)

11. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Nice point of view;) :D

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

More than that,it's true!:p

13. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

A little BUMP here...

Today I recieved mail from Trend-Micro with their thanks for my effort in their beta-program. I personally almost forgot about it (it was back in august and september). They send me a one year license key too.
    I'll try it out for some time, and report back. After all, first impression is nice, since they give beta-testers a present, very good! :)

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I've been knowing this for a while (~4 months) ;)

15. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I want a key 1yr too? lucky u... just for being a beta tester not bad huh!...R MD

16. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Is it already Xmaso_O? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.