PC bogs down, black taskbar

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ctguy, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctguy

ctguy Registered Member

The trial version worked perfectly, which prompted me to purchase the official version today. This version has been nothing but trouble.

I'm not certain, but there appears to be a problem between NOD32 and WindowBlinds 5.

When the PC boots up, everything is fine briefly. Then, the taskbar turns black, and it appears that WindowBlinds is unloaded.

At this point, the computer runs very slowly, and is not really usable.

If you can direct me on how to make a screen capture, I would be happy to do so.

Please help me solve this problem. I don't understand why my experience between the trial version and the pay version are so different.

I need a replacement for SystemWorks 2003, but this is not currently usable.

details:
    virus database: 1.1580
    base version: 2.51.26
    Windows XP Home, SP2
    Zone Alarm Pro 5.5.062.011
    Eudora 6.2.3.4

Thanks in advance for your help.

CTGUY

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi ctguy, welcome to Wilders.

Please do the following:

Download a fresh copy of NOD32 from HERE

Uninstall your current version.

REBOOT your Computer.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above using “Typical Settings”.

There is a Nod32 Tutorial on how to install and setup Nod32 HERE

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

3. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

I had the same problems wirh window blinds 5, but when testing KIS6. So I think it's related to WB more than to Nod. Just from my experience anyway...

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

To make a screen capture of the entire desktop, hit the PrintScreen button at the top right of the keyboard. Next, open up the Microsoft Paint program (Start --> All Programs --> Accessories) or any other picture editing program and go to Edit --> Paste. Save the picture and post it here.

To make a screen capture of the active program window, hit Alt+PrintScreen and do the same thing.

5. biggerbyte

biggerbyte Registered Member

NOD aside, the last time I heard of computers slowing down like that while using Windowblinds 5 is when the copy of Windowblinds is pirated.
    In your case, you had it working for awhile as you were using the trial of NOD, so it is truly a mistery. There is not a big enough difference in the trial vs. the registered version to cause what you are seeing. Makes no sense.

Good luck!

6. ctguy

ctguy Registered Member

A very sincere thank you to everyone helping on this post.

Biggerbyte, thanks for the chuckle, but my copy of WindowBlinds is legit. (I had also heard that a pirated copy is subpar in performance, but that's not an issue here.) By the way, until this problem developed, I have seen nothing to dispute Stardock's claim that WB5 is at least as fast as native XP, due to hardware acceleration.

In exchanging emails with ESET tech support, we've arrived at a solution. I'd like to run this by you folks, as you seem pretty knowledgeable.

ESET suggested that I disable IMON. When I do this, everything runs like a champ. (I don't know why this feature could be used with the trial version and not the paid version, but that's the way it is.)

How much, if any, protection am I giving up by running NOD32 with IMON shut down?

According to tech support, none. The next version won't have IMON, for among other reasons to prevent this conflict in the winsock / stack.

If this works and is safe, I'm all set. I just want to make sure I'm getting the protection I expect (and paid for).

Thanks again guys!

7. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi ctguy,
    The current IMON module offers 'Point of Entry' protection. Even with it disabled, a correctly configured AMON module will check all files on creation, access and execution.
    In addition, if you are using Outlook for your email, EMON will check all email anyway.

HTH

Cheers :)

8. alglove

alglove Registered Member

If you download a virus through HTTP or POP3, IMON will intercept this at the network level, before it reaches the hard drive. With IMON disabled, the virus will still be detected by AMON once the file is created on the hard drive. In the case of a browser download, this would be when the file hits the browser cache. In the case of an infected e-mail attachment, AMON would catch the virus as the attachment is saved to a temporary file, before the attachment is actually opened. In either case, you are still covered.

Note that running with IMON disabled is the *recommended* configuration for a server, due to potential network issues. If it is good enough for servers, then it cannot be too bad. ;)

9. Blackspear

With this being the case have you tried repairing Winsock, then repairing IMON; see post number 40 HERE

10. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Hello ctguy,
    Just to add another suggestion to the mix...
    You might try excluding the program in IMON. Instead of turning IMON off completely. The exclusion list is found on the micellaneous tab.

11. ctguy

ctguy Registered Member

Thank you all who helped me, especially Blackspear. I don't know if you are on ESET's payroll, but if not, you should be <hint><hint>. You obviously spend a tremendous amount of time here helping people, and it is appreciated.

You suggestion of repairing the winsock was exactly right (using Winsock XP Fix). I've been running for a few days to check it, since I did not want to declare victory too early. But taking this step, plus tweaking the compatibility settings, has everything running like it should. NOD32 is catching threats, and I'm a happy customer.

ESET support, you gave up too early by telling me to turn off IMON. By following Blackspear's advice, I was able to get the full complement of protection provided by NOD32.

I sometimes get thousands of virus emails a day, and I like having IMON stop them as they try to come in the front door!

Thanks again, for a good product, and even better support / assistance.

CTGUY

12. Blackspear

Good to see ctguy, and thanks for letting us know, it helps us all to learn.

I also appreciate your kind words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.