PC access control

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by eyespy, Jun 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Any suggestions for a good PC access control proggie ?

thanks,
                           bill  :)

2. snowman

snowman Guest

Bill

the best such program I know of is "securecomp"
    unfortunately I don't know if it can still be downloaded...so can't offer a url.....its a freeware program....with numerous options/features...password protected........let us know if you can't locate it an I'll look around....

Snowman

3. controler

controler Guest

Try this link out guys and girls

http://www.lockergnome.com/issues/daily/20010725.html

4. snowman

snowman Guest

Controler

thanks for providing the link........

snowman

5. controler

controler Guest

Sorry but that link seems to point to a site noi longer avaliable. Almost all the links at various sites point to that samt site.

However, Here is a ligit site including the file SecureComp22.Zip. I downloaded it to make sure this time ;)

http://www.segurancaminima.eti.br/files/apresentacoes/Outros/

6. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Thank guys !
                       I got it. Will be trying it out shortly!
    I also found "System Lock" and " Secure it Pro". Any opinions on either of these proggies ?

TY,      
                         Bill

7. snowman

snowman Guest

Bill

While I haven't tryed either of the two programs you mentioned....a brief look at "system lock" did not impress me.......as to the other program I could not locate any information on it.....would be much to time consuming to do an indept search for it.....if you have a url please post it so we can glance at it.

be sure you fully understand the features of each program.....so called locking a computer in many cases where its not done properly is just childs play to get around the "lock"....just ask any jr high school kid......
       secondly, why not keep your computer locked when its un-locked.....therein is where securecomp comes into play.....preventing access to numerous functions on a computer an yet allows the computer to be functional.....as you will see when you give securecomp a try.

if you find a better program please let me know so I can also try it.....as yet I haven't seen any program that comes even near to securecomp that all level of users can use.

snowman

8. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

use an NTFS file system on winNT, win2k, winXP and you are done.

9. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Hi Snowy !
                   thanks for the info !
    I tried "System Lock" ! Junk, and possibly malware. After setting it up and locking the PC, I did a cold boot and presto...right back into Windows 98. I than tried to uninstall it, and guess what...it locked me out !! LOL
    Than it wouldn't accept my password. ARGHH*&#&* !  Had to start in safe mode and delete the "System Lock" keys from the run services in the registry. Can't believe I got suckered into that one !! LOL  
    Here is the link, but the proggie is a farce !!
    http://www.r2.com.au/.
    The other proggie, Secure it Pro can be found at
    http://go.to/quantrix

Well, that said, I'm definitely going to take your advice and not waste my time looking or trying other software

Unicron...I'm using Win98se

Thanks all, for the advice !!

Happy posting,  
                                               bill

10. snowman

snowman Guest

Bill

was glad to be able to assist.......an grateful that Contoler was able to locate a download link

sorry you had that bad experience..however you did get a chance to see how easy it is to get around some of those so-called lock programs...

from the lack of download sites for securecomp I am wondering whats happening with it......just a few weeks ago it was fairly easy to find...not anymore.  

good luck my friend........

snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.