PBR2010 sometimes recognizes USB HDD

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Cameraman38, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cameraman38

Cameraman38 Registered Member

I've a 2-year-old Windows XP machine with 5 disk drives; some IDE, some SATA. PBR 2010 Suite (Registered) runs fine on everything except a new external hard drive. It's a WD 2TB SATA drive in an Airlink 101 USB case. Drive is NTFS formatted, currently 1 partition 1.8+ Terabyte. Windows XP has no problems at all copying files to/from this drive. Paragon sees it in the Disk view, but not in the Backup view. A WD My Book drive in the same USB port is recognized. I've reformatted the drive with no change in the problem. Any ideas? I'm baffled.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't have 2010 but B&R 2011 Home says a new feature is support for 2TB+ drives so it could be your program doesn't understand the large drive size. You might try partitioning it to see if that works.

3. Cameraman38

Cameraman38 Registered Member

Thanks, but tried that already. I partitioned and formatted the drive using XP, not Paragon. Wonder if there might be a difference?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I doubt formatting with Paragon would make a difference although there have been rare cases of formatting done with third-party programs causing a problem so I guess they don't always do exactly the same thing all the time.

My understanding is that you have this problem even when trying to run Paragon within Windows which likely would rule out missing drivers such as could be the case if you are booting up the recovery media. I think your USB interface is USB 2 which takes USB3 issues out of the problem.

I also presume the WD My Book that works contains a smaller drive than 2TB?

Apart from raising an official support ticket, you could try free version of the current program to see if it handles the large drive OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.