"Payware" Defragmentation Software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheKid7, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

So you think there is that much talk about nothing. :D

2. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

A lot of talk about pretty coloured gui's and zero talk about significant performance gains. (And proof of those gains)

3. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

I use DK2010 Pro on XP SP3, works very nicely...set once and forget automatic solution.

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

BTW, during a Boot-Time Defrag Session, you will Not enjoy pretty-colored GUI's
    -BUT-
    you will enjoy several De-Fragmented Files that could Not be processed within Windows, because these Files were Locked/In-Use.

5. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

PURAN IS THE BEST FOR ME AND FOR US ALL , its also got a free version which is the same as the paid as far as i can remember

6. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Bought PerfectDisk, they had a -30% offer. It does a great job :)

7. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Check this out.

8. guest

guest Guest

9. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

yep puran gets the job done.. the boot time defrag is a very useful tool IMO:D

10. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have tried out the boot time defrag on my old Windows XP Pro 32 bit PC. It works great.

Have you ever had any problems or issues with Puran's defrags? I am somewhat confused about the possible VSS issue and Windows Restore points. Have you ever had Puran's defrag cause the loss of Windows Restore points?

Thanks in Advance.

11. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

I use auslogic disk defragmenter, it's worked well for me.

There was a thread on here though about some phoney system scan advert on there which tells users that they need to buy some other software to fix the system. The software apparatly performed no such scan.

Which tarnished their image in my eyes a bit.

Windows defrag is functional, however it's not really had much attention put onto it, it is just an afterthought so windows users don't complain about badly fragmented drives and losing all the data.

It's fit for purpose just about. But it's incredibly slow, and takes hours when auslogics can defrag your drive in a fraction of that time.

12. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I did do the measurements a long time ago.

For the most common usage scenario, web surfing and office usage it will take around 6 months to get fragmentation that causes performance loss greater than statistical noise and definitely not noticeable to the human eye.
    This makes measuring the difference in effectiveness of a defragmentation tool very hard and I simply picked my defrag tool due to its unobtrusiveness whilst defragging.
    With Vista and Win7 the built in defrag tool now offers the unobtrusiveness.

I have run some less scientific tests on a system that I used for development and software testing where it is possible to create fragmentation quickly. Performance loss was still not noticable to the human eye, but could be measured with a stop watch, but not enough to hinder productivity.
    I found that the selection of defrag tools I tried all defragged well enough to remove all measureable amounts of performance loss.
    Perfectdisk was the only tool that reduced refragmentation rates compared to the others. Setting a daily defrag of any tested tool negated the advantage to below statistical noise.
    I did not measure how long it took to defrag but would be interesting to see if Perfectdisk's "smartplacement" reduced future defragmentation times when run regularly.

My only conclusion is that if you cannot defrag frequently and do accumulate a lot of fragmented file between runs, Perfectdisk has an advantage. If you don't, there is no point spending any money.

One note - I did not test on-the-fly defragmentation tools as I found it hard to get accurate results.

I personally do not agree with on-the-fly defragging as I monitored a lot of defragging of temporary files (no point) and also files that I kept changing, seems to waste a lot of cycles.

13. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

I'm using Puran Defrag based on the suggestions from others on this thread.

It seems to work pretty well and fast.

Not sure if it's effective though, how can you tell whether the defrag works? just have to take it as face value unless you're a data expert and can look under the hood.

14. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Another good alternative is Vopt. It doesn't feature offline defrag like PerfectDisk (well, it does claim to defrag the pagefile) but is light, quick and has many years behind it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.