Patching uxtheme.dll, asking for trouble?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Jack Bauer, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Guest

Hi,

I thought this might be a security risk, so i posted this here.

I've read all over the net that people are patching the uxtheme.dll file, so that they can use flashy third party themes.

Considering this is not supported by Microsoft and no trusted company/source is providing these uxtheme patches, is this not a touch risky?

Are these patched file machines, vulnerable?

You are replacing a trusted WPF file with a third party dll patch, doesn't fill me with confidence!

An example:

Anti-keylogger checks WPF's, the uxtheme.dll file being one of them and checks its integrity, if it is patched, anti-keylogger will not run because it feels it could be compromised.

Personally i'd love to have a better looking desktop rather than the dreary looking XP default but patching the uxtheme file doesnt seem a safe option.

I also don't like the shareware options, god knows i've already emptied my pockets on so many security apps. Then along comes another hole in the OS and the next NEW app needs to be bought to patch it!

Desktop Architect, although free is some stability issues with windows XP.

Guess i'll have to stick with the dreary default themes for now, at least until i can find a safer and less expensive option. In the meantime i will look at all those flash themes with envy ;)

Jack

2. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I never had a problem. Install StyleXPthen. I think they may have a replacement uxtheme.dll as well.

Perhaps you may feel safer with Neowin's patchor one at Softpediacreated by Vortex

Here's one at Belchfire

Or you can install Flyakite's system file replacements. It will change the whole look of your desktop

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the links lynchknot :) i have just done an XP reinstall and i tried the neowin patch last night and it wouldn't install. now seeing the links you have given i think the last time i patched i used the UXTheme Patch For Windows XP SP2 Final by Vortex. i'm fairly sure that one will work for me, so thanks [​IMG]

4. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I patched mine a few mouths ago; I could never go back to the default Luna theme now. I don’t think it is a security hazard at all; I used the Neowin patcher, in one of their forum stickies that talks about it says this…

“Replacing uxtheme.dll WILL NOT increase your vulnerability to viri or spyware. It does not disable Microsoft digital signing globally, only on .msstyles.”

I would much rather have a patched uxtheme that an extra program like style XP running in the background. I also backed up my original uxtheme.dll just in case so I can throw it back in there if I ever need to, which so far I have not. Interesting to note about the anti key logger program though, I hope that Process Guard does not give me any issues once I install it.

5. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

About Flyakite's stuff...

They relpace ALL possible types of Windows EXEs... and THAT is a HUGE security risk for me.... not to mention the needless extra configuraion required for the firewall.

Also... they use some pretty invasive tricks, enabling ALL manners of services on my PC that disabled after going to www.blackviper.com

since uxtheme.dll is a part of the windows environment, guess it could be a target for keyloggers going hooking or something. But I agree with Matt... StyleXP [etc...] are too much of a burden.

6. lynchknot

Flyakite is a friend. I've known him a while and we are members at many of the same boards. He knows what he is doing and is not suspect. I'm using version 2 now.
    I have made my own modified windows files. All that is involved is replacing the images within the original windows files (for the most part)

None of my services were enabled (that I disabled using BV's config)

7. no13

err...
    my firewall(s) started jumping up and down when I installed Flyakite OS X about "changed" programs... many many services were enabled that I did NOT want, and my system crashed [irrevocably... safe mode was dead too] after the next reboot.
    I don't think i'll be using ANY kindo "transformayion" packs from now on.... just got too many problems to solve without an additional burden.

8. lynchknot

You are the first and only one that I've ever heard with those particular problems.

9. tkc

tkc Guest

been using fly's mod since it came out :) went to his awesome website as well. so far so good... and i have the patched theme file (from his mod) as well as stylexp running as well. btw i installed it with all options enabled, instead of the last time when i didn't check the system files mod to see how it turns out. You could actually install the pack w/o modding you sys files i think, as there're several options listed during install. You won't get the full effect, but it's quite close :)

10. no13

:D
    I'm the third one I know :D

i even had trouble with styeXP.

So I did the next best thing... Installed UXTheme patch... got a friend who has styleXP installed to give me his themes :D :D

easy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.