Patch Tuesday - Forced Windows 10 Update Issue

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Oct 13, 2015.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

No way... You have to accept the upgrade first.

Also you can downgrade your PC back to its original operating system =
    &

2. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

In case anyone missed this,
    The Register updated the article Microsoft now awfully pushy with Windows 10 on Win 7, 8 PCs.
    In the update the same is mentioned as what VentureBeat reported in the article Microsoft stops automatic Windows 10 upgrades, says default checked update was 'a mistake'.
    Quoting what a Microsoft spokesperson told VentureBeat and The Register:

3. haakon

haakon Guest

Yeah, Win7 Home... when I built this i7 system 3½ years ago, the Home OEM DVD was part of a CPU/Mobo bundle and a deal I couldn't pass up. Working as long as I did in the enterprise, I could type gpedit.msc by muscle memory. I had back then decided against gpedit workarounds for Home. Anyhow...

I checked those registry entries and DisableOSUpgrade and ReservationsAllowed are already at 1 and 0, so GWX Control Panel v1.3 must have done its work by way of its Disable OS Upgrades in the Windows Updates toggle (now in Enable state in my post #24 screen shot).

Trepidation is still the watch word since everything I've done so far (prior to those two registry tweaks) still resulted in that Update control panel and, as I've discovered, some GWX folders buried in C:\Windows, one with ~30MB of crap.

Check out this log file (ConfigManager.log) I found...
    2015-10-15 10:10:50, Info Initialized logging. Cmdline: /RefreshConfigAndContent
    2015-10-15 10:10:50, Info MUID: {9695CC95...A40F8ADEDE5D}
    2015-10-15 10:10:50, Info Using Prod config FwLink
    (URL removed)
    2015-10-15 10:10:50, Info Port: [443], Secure -> [TRUE]
    2015-10-15 10:10:50, Info No IE proxy settings.
    2015-10-15 10:10:50, Info Trying auto-detect
    2015-10-15 10:10:50, Info Unable to retrieve proxy info for URL -> [0x2f94].
    2015-10-15 10:10:50, Info Continuing without proxy
    2015-10-15 10:10:50, Info Continuing with download for url
    (URL removed)
    2015-10-15 10:10:51, Info Downloaded file C:\Windows\system32\GWX\Download\Config.cab.
    2015-10-15 10:10:51, Info Expanding cab C:\Windows\system32\GWX\Download\Config.cab to C:\Windows\system32\GWX\Download.
    2015-10-15 10:10:51, Info CGE failed with error [0x80070057].

I bring my system out of sleep daily at 10:00, so that occurred in the background while I was checking email, news, etc. :mad:

So, I'm going to do the update without KB3083710 (and KB 2952664). And then consider uninstalling KB3035583 and purge the system of everything GWX. Then disable Windows Updates altogether, abandoning my 10 day wait prior to Patch/Bork Tuesday updates. Because (from VB link in post #27) "Thankfully the company has addressed the issue now, and has managed to get a better handle on how its Windows Update tool is supposed to work." Yeah, I'm taking that to the bank.

Thanks for the info, Gordon.

Microsoft really torqued the pooch on this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2015
  4. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Thanks.

Well, I tried going back to Windows 7 this week. First, it took 2 hours just to find the updates, but they wouldn't load. Then I downloaded a .batch file (from sevenforums) that contained a ton of commands, and it kind of worked: the folder "C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download" went from 100 MB to 4.6 GB, but the Windows Update window was showing 0% progress. I knew the updates were downloaded but they wouldn't install, I waited for 4 hours and nothing. Then I gave up on Windows altogether.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

@ amarildojr,
    In my case, I went back (from 10 to 8.1) in few minutes without a glitch.

6. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

But I was trying to do a clean install of Windows 7 with an original DVD I have, which is from 2010 :p I didn't have any OS prior to this W7 install.

7. anon

anon Registered Member

I thought that you was referring to Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10

8. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Hmmm.... no :(

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

After spending more time back and forth with 7 and 10, this is what I did too. I have to say, when I restore my Debian image here, it is such a relief. I just can't deal with all the Windows hassles and problems any longer. It's not worth it.

10. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi Kerodo,

Never use Debian, but I am really tempted to try it. I have windows 10 now. Is it difficult to install?

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No, actually it's very easy. I use the Netinstall CD/ISO and put it on a usb stick using Rufus, but just burning it to a regular cd is fine, it's a small image. Then install. It downloads everything it needs from the internet during install. It pretty much has almost everything out of the box, I just had to add Flash from the repositories. Debian is quite good these days, and gaining popularity every week. I use Debian with the Cinnamon desktop (you can choose during install).

If you're new to linux, Mint might even be an easier transition. But both are nice....

12. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I'm just like that :) I might miss a game or too and then install Windows; but after just a few days, I get back Home :-* (and of course change all my passphrases :argh::argh:)

13. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Thanks Kerodo, I will give it a try as soon as I have some time free. P....off with Windows.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I know, isn't it terrible? I change operating systems almost as often as I wash my hands.... :)

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Good deal... ;)

16. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am unsure whether or not I really needed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit to help resolve this Windows 10 Upgrade issue. I currently have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. However, I purchased licenses for Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and plan to do a 'Clean Install' in the near future. I am currently in the planning stage for the 'Clean Install' process.

Can someone please summarize the best/recommended steps to take with a 'Clean Install' of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit to make sure that I do not have any issues with the Windows 10 update garbage?

Thanks in Advance.

17. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I've used slow way when I reinstalled Windows 7. I clicked on more info option of each update offered, I've read what it is about and then decided whether I want to install it or not. I know it took me a lot of time, but IMO it was worth doing it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  18. haakon

haakon Guest

The best/recommended is up for grabs, but here's what I helped with recently:

An acquaintance did a Windows 7 HP x64 install on a new SSD about three months ago. After the ~200 or so updates (I avoided having her uncheck KB3035583.), I had her run GWX Control Panel and suggested she continue to do so after every Windows Update.

I also walked her through disabling all the GWX items in Task Scheduler (needs done with SYSTEM creds). Having have her set check for Windows updates to disabled, she's got her calendar marked to check manually on the 20th of every month.

So far, so good...

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I recently reinstalled Win 7 SP1 from ISO/disk. As soon as it was installed, I immediately set Win Updates to check and notify only, don't download or install. Then, I gathered a list of all the known "bad" updates to avoid from Wilders, and also from some other sites. There are about 20-25 of them I think, can't remember now. Then I just made sure none of those were installed. Most of the bad ones showed up in the Optional category, but it's best to check everything if you want to make sure you avoid the bad stuff. This seems to have worked well for me, I have a clean Win 7, no issues or problems.

20. guest

guest Guest

Geeze, so many options and so much work for reasons that are truly unfair... Yet here we are anyway! So with that said, I reinstalled an image from this past February and immediately turned off Windows updates.

Now to recap, first, how long can I go on like this? If you run competent enough security pgms, behind a VPN with other safety apps installed, would that be sufficient in completely forgoing updates all together? If so, can you really and truly shut off all updates and not have them installed under the radar? If completely locking down is a bad idea, one of the best alternatives would be to examine each update and make sure it's not related to 10, correct?

On another system I ran the GWX CP and was pleased to see it worked well. Now I have 36 updates pending so my question is, will WU just work 10 in in another way? GWX disables 10 related updates and icons but will WU just keep trying to get you to install the same once it sees it's been deactivated? Am I asking the same question in different ways?!:} (If so, my apologies!)

EDIT: Also just followed the suggestions from this site (having gotten to it from Wilders!) https://www.maketecheasier.com/stop...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=21092015

Soooooo, with that said, IS IT SAFE!?!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2015
  21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...-for-massive-windows-10-upgrade-strategy.html

22. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

N.B.
    Please note that the 'AllowOSUpgrade' registry item is entirely different from the 'DisableOSUpgrade' registry item.

Setting the DisableOSUpgrade value 1 (or using Group Policy) to block upgrades to Windows 10 through Windows Update is mentioned by Microsoft, here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351, and also explained on the page that guest mentioned, https://www.maketecheasier.com/stop-windows-downloading-windows-10/.

Does Josh Mayfield's GWX Control Panel not set that value DisableOSUpgrade = 1 ?
    If not, then I guess it would be wise if Josh Mayfield would make a modification in GWX Control Panel so that it can set DisableOSUpgrade = 1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.