Past Item notification problem

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by hangman, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangman

hangman Registered Member

Hey Javacool, MRU B,great program thanx.
    I seem to have a problem cleaning out "past items"
    I have enabled it in the settings,ran several scans,rebooted and still no joy :'(
    Everything else is working fine :D
    WinXP home,IE-6
    Take care... .....hangman

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I have had one other person report issues with this. In their case, it seems as though those registry items are somehow locked. o_O

If MRU-Blaster simply does not clean the Customize Notifications Past Items after a full reboot, then I would suggest you simply uncheck that item in Settings until I can figure out exactly why nothing but Windows can edit those keys on just a few systems.

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. hangman

hangman Registered Member

Javacool,Wow thanks for the quick response!!
    I'll be sure to check back for any updates on this issue

thanks again and take care ....hangman :cool:

4. Al.

Al. Registered Member

Hi,
    Actually there is a trick you can use to "refresh" Windows Explorer (the shell) after you have used MRU-Blaster to clear out the Past Item Tray Notification thingie, especially if restarting the PC doesn't automatically clear them.

After running MRU-Blaster, simply bring up Task Manager (usually a right-click selection on the taskbar will suffice), then on the list of Processes, select explorer.exe, and then hit the End Process button. Before you do this, just make sure you do not have any programs running. Ok, once you have done that, then in Task Manager, click on the File - New Task (Run) menu option, and just type in explorer to re-run Windows Explorer. When Explorer runs again, you should find that the Past Notification Tray Icons are cleared.

Usually what I then do after that is either restart the PC normally, or just log-off and on again to regain the programs which run in the tray.

5. Philidor

Philidor Registered Member

I'm the other person who had problems with this issue.
    The turning off explorer.exe solution does work. Thanks!
    It's mentioned on the Microsoft page on this issue:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283084
    I think that these steps prevent replacement when I restart.
    Wonder if there's any way to include this as part of MRU-Blaster?
    Anyway, thanks again.

Made the link clickable by adding URL tags
    Thank you!

6. Al.

Al. Registered Member

Hmmm, Microsoft has a KB article about it, cool I didn't even realise they had one :)

Actually I discovered the "method" for clearing out the Notification items a while ago before Javacool even introduced the option into MRU-Blaster (of course it makes things easier since he has done so). I found it on the rather excellent TweakXP.com, in the tweaks section.

In fact here is the original reference:
    http://www.tweakxp.com/TweakXP/display.asp?id=1823

As for making MRU-Blaster somehow kill the explorer process, well that may be risky for some users, especially if they are running a silent scan in the background.

7. Philidor

Philidor Registered Member

You're right, it does kill off all running programs.
    But suppose it were a separate button to be run after all other processing is complete.
    I don't know if Customize Notifications... is the only item that can't be removed without this procedure. If it isn't, then a separate button would have more than one use.
    Even if there won't be a button, this would make a good footnote, beginning something like, 'If Past items are not removed,...' for the next version of MRU-Blaster (hint, hint).
    Anyway, glad this is cleared up.

8. 2mcabre

2mcabre Registered Member

Bizarre, I have the same problem as well as several folks that I recommended the program too…

I believe it has something to do with "some" users having restricted permissions that are only set to allow "Read" and not full control.

Although I haven't quite figured out how the restricted setting gets "set" to read only…

I haven't gotten new icon streams to generate since allowing full control of the restricted setting to test my theory, I'll let you know if it works.

9. 2mcabre

2mcabre Registered Member

Yup, that's the problem. I checked backwards and forwards and if the "restricted" permission is set to only allow read access then MRU blaster cannot remove the icon streams.

If you navigate to the key shown in the first image and right click on it, select "Permissions"
    http://www.macabre.cnchost.com/1.jpg

What you'll find is that you have a restricted permission that only allows read access as shown in the second photo.
    http://www.macabre.cnchost.com/2.jpg

If you change the restricted permission to allow full control then MRU Blaster will be able to clear this key. ALthough it will still require that explorer be restarted to go into effect.
    http://www.macabre.cnchost.com/3.jpg

I'm not a programmer so I don't know if MRU blaster can be tweaked to change this setting or not, perhaps a check box that in effect tells the system that it's "OKAY" to change this permission if in fact it's detected?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.