Password to update

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Taz71498, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taz71498

Taz71498 Registered Member

The answer may be in this forum somewhere but I could not find it in the last 10mins. so I thought I would just ask, maybe again...

Do we know why the password can not be changed in NOD when installed and then again, you can change it but when it comes to updating, then you find it does not work.

Why the option to change to begin with and why not the ability to change? IF that makes sense to you.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Usernames/passwords for updating NOD32 cannot be changed. For the system to remember them, they must be entered properly in the NOD32 update setup window.

3. Taz71498

Yeah, I understand they can not be changed. Just wondering if there would be a reason behind that.

I find it odd that you don't need a password to update many other AV's. Just curious to Esets reasoning behind having the password and why it could not be changed.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It is a security measure, both the UN and PW are provided and managed by Eset.

Cheers :D

5. Taz71498

Interesting.

Are there any other AV's out there that do the same that I do not know about. NOD is the only one that I know of that does this but then I am not well versed in the different AV's.

6. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

GData AntiVirusKit has the same feature.

7. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Same with Panda & Norton, probably many other vendors too.

8. Taz71498

Really with Nortono_O I didn't realize. I have had Norton in the past but do not recall the password. Can you not change the uname of password for those either?

9. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I think the password thingy in Norton came with 2003 or 2004, can't really remember. And you can't change your user/passw there either. Can't see any reason why you should be able to either.

10. Taz71498

Well, I can think of one reason why....not everyone understands that when you go through the download and set up, that you have to use the given uname and password. I can see my mother right now downloading NOD, going through the setup and changing the uname and password and also deleting the email in which the password and uname may be. She then has no way of updating NOD and wondering why she can not. I can see this with many people throughout the world doing this.

(that is why I will set up NOD for her) ;)

Not that anyone here has control of it, but wouldn't it be nice if they informed you of the non ability of changing that uname/password to something of your choice? I am just thinking out load. I don't recall it telling me when I installed that it was not a possibility, I just happened to know when I read a thread here about the settings in NOD.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Taz, there is a Tutorial that explains just such a thing here.

Cheers :D

12. Taz71498

That is the exact one that I followed when I set mine up last year. :thumb:

Not everyone see's this or knows about it though. That is the sad part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.