Password protected backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by flekstor, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flekstor

flekstor Registered Member

I read the following statement regarding Password-protected backups:

"If you're traveling by air, chances are you'll have to pack your laptop. That increases the possibility of physical drive damage and (ugh) theft. You need a password-protected backup that you can store on a removable drive."

But earlier you didn't encrypt the image files even though password protection was used, have you started to do this? If not I think it's misleading to imply it is a protection at all.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you restored a password protected image without using the password?

If so, please tell us how because there are some users who have used passwords and forgotten them.

3. flekstor

flekstor Registered Member

No I haven't tried to do that but if the image file isn't encrypted all you need is the knowledge how the info in the image file should be interpretated. That is not good enough for any one who is concerned about security.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

It may not be protected well enough to satisfy you, but it is still protected to a certain degree. So it’s not really that misleading.

5. sirburger

sirburger Registered Member

i have the problem that i forgot my password of the backup?
    is it possible to encrypt it?

thanks

6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Not sure if you meant to ask if it is possible to *decrypt* it from your backup rather than encrypt it.

Ideally this type of protection should be done with a hash function. The hash of the password (which cannot be reversed back to the password) would be stored with the image. When you come to access it, the application would ask for your password and perform the same hash function on it, and then compare the two hash values.

This is a fairly standard way of doing this and it is not possible to deduce the password from the hash.

F.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello flekstor,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that none of the currently available versions of Acronis True Image allow encrypting backup archives. The archive can be protected with a password. If a password has been set for a backup archive and is now lost or forgotten, then there is no way to retrieve or disable it. One cannot restore such a backup archive or extract files from it.

Please take a look at this previous post for details.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.