Password protect Outlook 2003

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by seakiwi, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seakiwi

seakiwi Registered Member

I've tried to apply a password to my personal folders in Outlook 2003 as per several articles I read at various places, but for some reason it won't work. When I close and re-open Outlook it doesn't ask me for my password.

Is there any third party software out there that I could use to password protect Outlook?

TIA.

2. Snowie

Snowie Guest

OutLock - Private Encryption Add-In for Microsoft Outlook

OutLock is an add-in for Microsoft Outlook 2000/2002 (XP)/2003 which enables you to encrypt and decrypt message items with a single click to protect your privacy.

http://www.download3000.com/download-count-home-4063.html

*Have not personally used this program.......there is a free "nag screen version or a full version without the "nag"

3. snowie

snowie Guest

You can also give this way a try:

Is there a way to make the Outlook Express in-box private, using a password?

Arturo Meneses

You can password-protect your in-box using OE's Identities feature. From the menu select File | Identities | Add New Identity. Define a secondary identity, which you will not actually use; do nothing but give it a name. Do not switch to the new identity when prompted. Then select your own main identity and click on the Properties button. Check the Require a Password box and enter the password you want to use. Click on OK, then on Close.

After doing this one-time procedure, you must always close OE by choosing Exit and Log Off Identity from the File menu rather than merely selecting Exit. This menu item is disabled unless multiple identities are defined. (That's why you created the nonfunctional secondary identity.) When you log off in this way, nobody can launch OE without supplying the password

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zd4167/is_200307/ai_n9518719

4. seakiwi

Does this work with Outlook though, or just OE do you know?

5. snowie

snowie Guest

***Does this work with Outlook though, or just OE do you know?***

Response:

I"ve no idea! Did you try it ? Its been many, many years since I've used that sort of e-mail so I've no need for such things......so you will just have to test it out.......an do let others know the answer..if you will

regards

snowie

6. seakiwi

Nope - doesn't work in Outlook. Never mind. Thanks anyway!

7. seakiwi

This looked to be exactly what I was looking for but it doesn't work :(

I installed it and the Outlock toolbar appears in Outlook as it should, but when I follow the encryption process to encrypt a message, absolutely nothing happens. The message remains unencrypted. It's a very simple little program so I can't see that I'm doing anything wrong - I've emailed support to ask for their opinion.

Anyone else here ever used this and managed to get it to work o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.