password for Firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by associates, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. associates

associates Registered Member

Hi,

I am a newbie here and have got the Smart Security trial version up and running. I am in the middle of getting a feel of how it works before making a decision to buy. I have a question regarding the firewall. Because I set it to Interactive mode at the moment, my question is whether or not, there is a way of stopping it from prompting for password everytime I need to allow a particular trusted traffic. I mean it is a good thing to have to enter the password but it would be pretty annoying if it does it all the time.

Another questions is I wonder where I could adjust the speed for the AV scanner or ondemand scanner so that it does not affect the performance of a computer while it's scanning files.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you password protected the ESS configuration to prevent unauthorized users from making changes, you'll need to enter the password every time a prompt window with action selection appears.

There's a setting "Run background scans with low priority" in the "Other" section of the on-demand scanner setup.
    It also depends on what type of the processor you use. If you use a double or quadruple core CPU, basically you should not notice any performance hit at all. On my double core CPU, I run one scan at a time when I have another performance-intensive application running and two scans when performance does not matter.

3. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hey associates.
    You can put your firewall in Learning mode in a couple of days, in that way Ess will configure firewall rules without prompting you all the time. And after the learning periode is over Ess will ask you to evaluate the rules Ess have made in the learning mode. But please note you have to know to evaluate the rules done in the firewall, if you are not sure you can do that or you know a good friend who can help, it's probably best to let this function be left alone.
    Best Regards to you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  4. associates

associates Registered Member

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I will set it to the learning mode for a few days or so before switching it to the interactive mode. Thanks for your advise.

Overall, I think this is a good AV and I'm tempted to give it a go for a year to see how it pans out.

Many thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.