Partiton sizing question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by edsmega, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edsmega

edsmega Registered Member

I was restoring a 120GB partition to a different, unpartitioned 160GB drive. It seemed there was an option during the restore process to do this but the numbers in the display didn't make sense to me:

free space before 31kb
    partition size 152.7gb
    free space after 7.84 gb

the 152.7 gb is close enough to 160 that I accept that one, but what are the freespace numbers? Iam I wrong about this screen being an opportunity to reduce the size of the partition for the restored file?

Ed

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

User can adjust the sizes so there is no space either before of after and get the full benefit of the total size.

However, before you do that, you might want to open your Windows Disk Management program and look at your current drive in graphical view. Perhaps you have other hidden partitions such as a recovery or diagnostic partitions which you may want to include in the restore.

3. edsmega

what disk management program? When I use explorer, the only graphics I see are a fragmentation map or a pie chart with used vs unused. This BEFORE and AFTER space is kind of a mystery to me. I thought it was before and after restore but after reading your post I get the sense it might be physically in front of or behind the partition on the disk - can you clarify just what it is.

When I try to change the partition size on that screen by bumping the down arrow , the partition size really doesnt change but the before and after numbers change - this display is a total mystery to me.

Ed

4. GroverH

If you need help accessing this function and using XP, you could create a shortcut on your desktop and post this command into the shortcut
    %windir%\system32\diskmgmt.msc

This is a sample image of what is expected.
    Disk Management Attachment
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185947&d=1166234461

Once you get to the sizing screen (attached example), you can resize in several methods.

You can resize via the up/arrows which appear on the free space before/after or partitions size.

Or, mouse grab the partition part and move it to the extreme left and then adjust the end of the sizing bar.

Or hover the mouse over the end of the sizing bar until the two vertical bars appear and the slide the bars to the left, etc. It may take a little practice but it is possible to do.

Attached Files:

5. edsmega

THANK YOU. This looks terrific. I need a little time to digest this.

Ed

6. GroverH

The attachment picture is not specific to your situation but only shows the methods to achieve your goal.

7. edsmega

The Icon worked great and I got the graphical display similar to what you posted, but I couldn't make changes. Are there tricks not apparant? I could click on various partitions and the outline would change, but I couldn't grab the edges and change sizes.

Ed

8. GroverH

Perhaps I am not understanding your post correctly but,
    The disk management screen is for visual information so you can see how your disk is partitioned.

The attachment in post #4 is for use when you are in the TI restore (or clone) screen and you need to adjust the size of the partition which is displayed by True Image.

9. edsmega

OK, now I understand. I thought it would let me change partition sizes, sort of like PARTITION MAGIC. Thanks for your patient advice.

Ed

10. GroverH

My responses have been in relation to your question about how to remove the free space before or after the partition--not a discussion of the capabilities of the disk management. Yes, you can create or delete,etc the partitions using Disk Management but doing so will destroy the data on those partitions. Using Partition Magic, I believe you can do so without destroying the data.

You should be able tor resize your partitions from within TrueImage. It does take a little effort and practice and patience but it is doable. TrueImage allows you to practice up to the point of clicking the proceed or cancel button. Click the cancel button when practicing. Revisit the pictues in post #4.

You might get some benefit from reading my guides in line 3 of my signature.

You have not indicated what version of True Image you are using nor what version of Windows you are using?

If you wish, you can accept the wrong values show in post #1 and your system should be usable.

11. edsmega

Thanks, much of my earlier discussion was basend on having a different understanding of the terminology. I just didn't get some of the nuance in terms. This discussion with you both got me through my difficulties and enhanced my education. Thanks again.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.