Partitioning - Why?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Peter2150, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Hello guys, just wanted to say why you partition your harddrive. Security and effeciency. Keeping the OS seperate from the rest of your stuff should be a given for any system.
    Being that in theory the OS being the gateway to alot of your problems...virus, worms, malicious code etc. Not to mention its very fast to Ghost or image & Restore an operating system thats only 1.5 GB - 7 GB, as opposed to restoring an entire C: partition 7GB++++. For me its just 1min 3sec and my C: is restored. While the rest of my goods is nice and safe in other partitions. Partioning in my opinion helps minimize molestation of your important stuff, programs, files, etc, especially if the OS gets breached with a virus or worm; anything thats in the same partition as the OS is More susceptible to corruption. I didnt mean to go off the subject if I did I'm sorry but I wanted to put my 2 cents in seeing the earlier posts above>

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

But what if your data partition contains a downloaded infected file that was never detected by your scanners? It might infect your system partition again and again.

3. yankinNcrankin

The answer to your ? is I have my image backups original taken after my set up was completed and not being connected to the internet, on Disc. Besides my partitions are write protected thus no changes can be truly made to it. How ever being partitioned in my opinion is alot safer than having everything reside with the OS which is the main gateway to your problems.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That is one solution, but as was mentioned I think it is more a mindset. Using the approach I outline above, I've so far had total safety with just one partition. Almost 4 years on this machine and 1.5 on the 2nd. No problems, even given the fact that I do some nasty beta testing and have had many crashes and hangs.

5. yankinNcrankin

Ok Peter sounds like you had some good fortune and good security set up to be connected to the internet at all times? I wouldnt know however just a bit curious on the times you beta tested the programs were you at all connected to the internet? And also when your system did crash, how long did it take you to restore your system back to snuff. Having my system partitioned definitely speeds up my restore process and since I rather overwrite my OS files using a complete back up of my original setup OS. Time to restore OS to my original tweaked settings = 1min 3 sec

6. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

There are very good reasons to partition a drive. Here's how my crate is set up: 2 x 80 GB hard drives. On one I have a 10GB C partition for the OS and applications. The rest is for data. I have the documents directory, favourites, address book, music files and email directories all on this D partition. On the second hard drive I have backups of these directories (using SyncToy, which is excellent) plus Ghost images of C. Assuming the C partition with Windows gets hosed, all I have to do is restore it with a Ghost image and all of my documents, email, favourites, address book, etc. are still there, independent of when I backed them up the last time. You hardly want to back up all of your data after every single change, so this is a practical system.
    As an additional benefit, smaller partitions defrag faster, assuming it has sufficient free space.
    One thing that I consider pointless, however, is making a separate partition for applications. This is often recommended, but if you have to re-install Windows you will have to re-install the apps anyway, so it doesn't really matter where they're installed, you'll be re-installing them anyway.

7. ErikAlbert

I have the same thing.
    I'm curious HOW you moved all your personal data to partition [D:] :)

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I do the same with everything except Favorites. My Favorites are kinda linked to the icons in my "FavOrg" data directory, so I leave it. Besides I have my Favorites synchronized (except for deletions) on a total of 6 machines so the potential losses are slim to none.

9. ErikAlbert

I'm also working OFF-LINE on a system partition to get a very clean system partition, that I can restore over and over again, if needed and that will be also the base for my very first snapshot.

10. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

One of the easiest ways of moving these is to make the appropriate directories and then use TweakUI to make them the default. The Address Book is a bit different, move it to where you want it and then look for this key in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name After you find that, change the path to the new location and then re-boot. Moving the email directory is simple in Lookout Distress, there's an option where to save emails, so it's just browse and click. For Thunderbird I've seen a tutorial somewhere on how to do it, but I've forgotten how it was done. It isn't difficult, just different than the way it's done with OE.

11. ErikAlbert

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone with all these one-partition[C:]-people here. :D

12. Peter2150

Not good fortune but planning. Yes I am connected to the internet, which is why I do run several overlaping security layers. To answer the restore question: Typically what I do before installing a new beta, is refresh my FDISR secondary snapshot. Then I will uninstall an old version of the software, and install the new version. Sometimes if it crashes me I will try several times to see if I can make it work, sometimes it's really bad and you can't even get into safe mode. On that occasion, I just use the boot intercept, boot into my good snapshot, refresh the primary and then boot back to the primary. It is like the whole thing never happened. Time it takes is generally 4-5 minutes. Even if I just don't want to leave a new version, this is better than an uninstall.

Pete

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I do something similar wihout partitioning - I just have a little 40 gig C drive that I don't use for anything but the OS. I install apps on a 120 gig drive and keep all other files on a second 120 gig. I scan 'em all all periodically and haven't had a problem yet.

When I did have to reinstall Windows once under this setup, I found that maybe (guesstimate here) 30% of my applications actually needed reinstalled (registry entries to run I suppose) but most still ran fine using shortcuts.

The price of a 40 gig drive these days just made it seem the easy way to go for me.

14. Peter2150

Hi All

I've found this a very thought provoking thread. One thing that dawned on me is that in reality with FDISR, I am in reality partitioning, only in a different sense. I have two copies of my C drive on the physical drive, and can boot to each of them.

It is clear there are multiple reason's for people partitioning. Organization,backup, and safety.

Organization is a personal preference thing.
    Backup may or may not be quicker depending on how you do it.

Lastly is safety. My data is actually shared by both of my FDISR snapshots, and I've never in 4 years had a problem from this. Before I ask the question, let me define that I exclude from the term data, stuff like jpg's that I download from the net, until they have been thorougly checked. The question:

I would challenge the notion that data is necessarily any safer being in a separate partition, then just being in a separate folder. So those that feel it is...WHY?

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Safer? Maybe. From what? Virus-like damage? No. Physical / System-wide damages? Yes.
    If it's another partition, if the system gets screwed, you do not lose your data.
    If it's another hdd, and the first one fails, you do not lose your data.
    Mrk

16. Peter2150

Hi Mrk

I posed the question, as some of the posts above insisted it was "safer" Hence my question Why. No question on the hard disk failure, but with some of the testing I've done, I've hosed my system pretty bad, but never lost any data on the drive itself.

17. ErikAlbert

Well, I'm very glad, I separated my winXPproSP2 from personal data and not just because of safety.
    It makes everything much easier, better organized and my backup/restore procedure is always the same for both partitions, without any exceptions.

It's not a good idea IMO to separate winXPproSP2 from MS Applications + Third Party Applications.
    I consider winXPproSP2 + MS Applications as ONE software, because "Windows Update" does that too.
    As long M$ doesn't provide an installation CD of winXPproSP2 without all these mediocre MS Applications, I will keep it that way and add Third Party Applications to replace these poor MS Applications.

- MS Internet Explorer = Mozilla Firefox
    - MS Outlook = Mozilla Thunderbird
    - MS Add/Remove Programs = Total Uninstall
    - MS Disk Defragmenter = PerfectDisk
    - MS Backup = Acronis True Image
    - MS System Restore comes next.
    - SnagIt (I couldn't find a MS Application, that does that job)
    - etc. etc. etc.

18. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

No question you did the partitioning right. Oh, the Microsoft equivalent of SnagIt is "print screen." Not as powerful obviously, but it works.

19. yankinNcrankin

Thanks Peter for your response and input. I guess if the partitions were write protected it would offer a little protection. I was mainly concerned about some of the programs that resided on the OS partition as being MORE prone to getting messed with if a virus or code etc. did breach the OS thus making the program unreliable as far as restores go. Example: system restore thats built into the OS, I dont think I would rely on it but thats a whole different set up from other restore programs so I shouldnt even compare it. But hearing from your experience Peter sounds like its all good. :thumb:

20. Peter2150

The point behind my last question "why is it safer" is that when you open a data file tucked safely a way on a separate partition, but when you open it with a program, the program and some of the system files that are in play are on the system drive. So in essence at that point they are interconnected. Any potential damage from a problem data file, can effect the system and visa versa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.