Partitioning for security?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Is there any way that using separate partitions increases security? I've seen some people mention this.

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

The "main" reason that I partition is so that I can minimize the "used" space on my Windows System Partition in order to keep the size of my Windows System Partition Image files relatively small. On my Windows System Partition I only have the Windows Operating System, installed programs and various small files such as Word files, Excel files, etc.

If I had to do things over again, I would further increase my Security by having one internal hard drive with a Windows System Partition and a Backup Partition. I would store Image files on that backup partition and on a USB 2.0 hard drive (which is kept turned off except for the brief times that I transfer Backup Images to it from the internal hard drive.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I see. Good to know. Thanks.

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Yes and No.

I partition so that Deep Freeze can protect C:\ and the operating system. But malware can easily search other partitions. Some years ago, the emergence of the 'file infector' malware demonstrated that executable files on all partitions were infected.

Also, malware can search for pertinent data across all partitions.

regards,

-rich

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Similar to Rmus but i use ShadowDefender to protect both partitions & an AntiExe.

He's not kidding, recently i tested some nasties which encrypt ALL your data & then expect you to pay up to unencrypt them. AFAIK there is currently NO way to get round this, so you either pay up or your ****ed :eek:

Fortunately i had chosen to protect the D partition which has Lots of stuff on it, along with C partition, otherwise i would have been in deep poo :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.