Partition to partition clone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by visch1, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. visch1

visch1 Registered Member

HI.
    What am I overlooking? I’m using TI 8.786 always to image C partition, which have on occasion saved my a.. using the image on the same partition. One of my drives is 300 Gs, another 250G. Both have about 5 partitions, the first ones are 20G for system. Win XP Pro SP2, all current UD, virus clean and spy ware clean, optimized about 2 times a week.
    One of the drives is approaching full, photo items, each pic I save is around 10-14 meg.
    In installing a new drive I don’t want to copy all 250 G of the first drive. How do I just make a copy of C partition to the new drive leaving me to partition the rest of it myself with PM 8 for my needs? TYIA
    o_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello visch1,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis True Image doesn't allow you to copy separate partitions, only whole disks. If you need to copy a partition with data you may use another powerful Acronis tool called Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/). It will also allow you to repartition you drive without data loss easily.

However if this partition contains operationla system it won't be bootable. In this case I can recommend you first to clone your hard disk and then delete unnecessary partitions.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

Could the solution be as simple as (1) use PM8 to make partitions on the new disk, (2) use TI8 to make an image-file of the getting-full partition onto one of those new partitions (or on an external USB disk), (3), then use TI8 to restore the image-file to one of the **other** partitions on the new drive? This is not as convenient as a direct partition to partition clone, but it might work.

4. feddup

feddup Registered Member

I'm not answering this threads topic but I own Partition magic 8 and wondered if anyone had used them both successfully. It wasn't easy to get True Image to work so I didn't want to rock the boat. PM8 is handy but i didn't know if it would "play" well with TI. Sorry for intruding on the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.