Partition to partition clone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by visch1, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. visch1

visch1 Registered Member

HI.
    What am I overlooking? I’m using TI 8.786 always to image C partition, which have on occasion saved my a.. using the image on the same partition. One of my drives is 300 Gs, another 250G. Both have about 5 partitions, the first ones are 20G for system. Win XP Pro SP2, all current UD, virus clean and spy ware clean, optimized about 2 times a week.
    One of the drives is approaching full, photo items, each pic I save is around 10-14 meg.
    In installing a new drive I don’t want to copy all 250 G of the first drive. How do I just make a copy of C partition to the new drive leaving me to partition the rest of it myself with PM 8 for my needs? TYIA
    o_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello visch1,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis True Image doesn't allow you to copy separate partitions, only whole disks. If you need to copy a partition with data you may use another powerful Acronis tool called Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/). It will also allow you to repartition you drive without data loss easily.

However if this partition contains operationla system it won't be bootable. In this case I can recommend you first to clone your hard disk and then delete unnecessary partitions.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

Could the solution be as simple as (1) use PM8 to make partitions on the new disk, (2) use TI8 to make an image-file of the getting-full partition onto one of those new partitions (or on an external USB disk), (3), then use TI8 to restore the image-file to one of the **other** partitions on the new drive? This is not as convenient as a direct partition to partition clone, but it might work.

4. feddup

feddup Registered Member

I'm not answering this threads topic but I own Partition magic 8 and wondered if anyone had used them both successfully. It wasn't easy to get True Image to work so I didn't want to rock the boat. PM8 is handy but i didn't know if it would "play" well with TI. Sorry for intruding on the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.