Partition Problem After Recovery

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RicardoRoberto, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RicardoRoberto

RicardoRoberto Registered Member

Hi all.

A while back I had a corruption and had to use my Recovery Disk created by using TI to re-instate an image.

My OS is held on C drive which is 120GB. My image is held on E and the image is 35GB in size.

My problem is that after the image from E had been reinstated onto C, I realised that the C drive was now showing as only 85GB in total size. Another partition had been created labelled the Secure Zone.

I deleted the SZ but it is just an unused partition.

So my question is-how do I make it a 120GB drive again? Do I do a full re-install of XP and then re-install the image from E again but how do I know the same thing won't happen again? Is there an option when re-instating the image to state the size of the partition on C that I want? I just want a single full partition with the image on it.

Any help appreciated in laymans terms please. Thanks. :)

(I do acknowledege all posts).

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You didn't say what version and build number of True Image you are using, but all the recent versions will let you Restore to a drive and show the entire partition afterwards

3. RicardoRoberto

Sorry it's version 8 Build 796.

I just followed the on screen prompts when restoring the image.

The only part I am not sure about is whether the SZ was created at that time or another and it's just coincidence? If it was nothing to do with the restoration then could it be down to the creation of the SZ and when might have this happened?

I would just like to have 1 single partion of the full drive again.

Thanks.

4. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

First thing, download the latest build of v8 as yours is an older build.
    It looks like the image on E: must have contained a Secure Zone that you had set up at some previous time. TI will not create a SZ unless you tell it to do so. If you ended up with a SZ, then you must have created it at some time.

How did you delete it? If you deleted it via Manage Acronis Secure Zone, you would have been given the opportunity to allocate the SZ space to an existing partition - in your case, that would be C:.

Good question. I haven't had this problem, but you should be able to set up another SZ using the currently unallocated space, then delete it, but this time, make sure you tell TI that you want the space allocated to C:

That should not be necessary.
    Read the manual or at the very least, read what's on your screen and make sure you understand it before committing to an operation.

Yes there is - again, RTFM! If however, a SZ of 'n' size already exists in an image as it appears was the case with your image, this would not solve the problem as the SZ space would be allocated and therefore unavailable.:cool:

5. RicardoRoberto

Thanks for replying.

I have RTFM many times over but cannot see any reference to this.

You will also appreciate that when my system I failed it was a case of using the boot disk and recovering the image as soon as possible. Like I say, I followed the on screen prompts and did not have any reason to suspect this would happen. You rightly say that the SZ could have been created at some other time but when I created my backup it only asked if I wanted to image a single partition so I had no reason to suspect anything.

The program worked exactly as it should and for this I am grateful. I will try your suggestion of re-instating and deleting the SZ using TI. (I deleted it via Disk Management).

I will also see if i can get the update to my version and let you know how and if I solved it.

6. RicardoRoberto

Re: Partition Problem After Recovery SOLVED

Just wanted to say thank you to Ozmaniac for his tip. I reinstated SZ with TI and then deleted it again allocating the space to my original partition and this gave me my full drive space back as I wanted.

Cheers. :)

(PS I can't edit my first post to say 'solved')

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.