Partition letters reassigned after SSD failure

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by wrd, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrd

wrd Registered Member

Gentlemen:
    I had a Windows 7 dual boot system
    Disk 0 Sys:C was a SSD dedicated only to Windows 7 and very frequently used programs
    Disk 1 SYSVista:V; APS:A, DATA:D/ and FUN:F
    Disk2 BACKUP:B (contains a copy (not clone) of SYS:C and also (sorry Paragon) an Acronis True Image Home partition backup of SYS:C
    I am now operating under my old Vista operating system
    What happened:
    Disk 0 died and in now replaced by a unformated, unallocated new 64GB SSD
    In order to create a new partition on Disk 0 with Paragon's hard disk manager it wants me to assign a drive letter to it. PHDM or Vista has assigned the letter C to SYSVista. It will not let me change it to something else so that I can assign "C" to the new disk 0 partition.
    I am afraid that if I do something wrong I will end up with different partition letters than before the disk crash and I will have 1000 registry errors.
    What should I do?
    1. Go ahead and assign a new letter like "W" to the new disk partition, create it. copy the backup SYS partition to it. Reboot and everything will come out OK,
    1a. If something goes wrong I can always delete SYS:W and redo with no bad effects.
    2 Boot from Paragon recovery windows/linux disk
    3 Run Acronis True Image home from Vista and follow the recovery proceedure.
    4. Boot from the Acronis True Image Home recovery disk.
    5. Anything else.
    I would like to end up with the partition letters the same as they were before the crash.
    Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    Bill Detert / Springfield / IL / USA

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Partition letters are stored in Windows registry and are completely independent.
    For example: for dual-boot configuration (C:\) will be always assigned to the currently booted Windows partition. And second (not active at the moment) Windows partition will have another letter (D, E, F , etc).

You can create partition and assign no letter for it (simply select None in the Create Partition wizard). After the restore, restored Windows will have C:\ letter assigned to the system partition in the registry (and any letter assigned in Vista registry)

Even more: if you have Windows 7 archive created with Paragon, you can start restore from Vista not formatting the new Drive 0.
    During the restore you will have option to set desired partition size for Windows 7 (to cover all Drive 0 or only part of it).
    Once completed, simply restart your PC , enter BIOS and set Drive 0 as first bootable device to start restored Windows 7

3. wrd

wrd Registered Member

Thanks. I appreciate the fact that someone took the time to help me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.