Partition & Back-up Strategy

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tonywhit, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonywhit

tonywhit Registered Member

I am very new to this whole area having just obtained True Image (v6) with my Freecom FDH3 (USB2 FAT32) drive. My basic question concerns the strategy viz partitions on my main (XP based) PC. The C Drive (NFTS) currently has just the one partition. To make backups easier/quicker, am I better off partitioning the :C into (say) two - with the operating system/programs in one partition and my data in another. I figure that I could then image the data partition on (say) a weekly basis and the operating system on (say) a monthly basis.

A supplemental - if partitioning is a good idea, what software should I use ?

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, tonywhit

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

You should have put this in Other Acronis Products Forum, but never mine it here now.

First can I ask if your C: Partition the Full HDD, if not use Windows Disk Management to make a new Partition. [pity diskpart does not reduce the size or a Partition only expands it]

As for one or two Partitions, most people have their personal choices on this, so I can only give mine.

I have two, C: OS and program files, D: is for just Data storage [Just as you are thinking to do] which the data I regularly backup to DVD.

The reason I do it that way is because I always messing about with Programs and some do not work to well at times, so I just wipe C:, and then use an Image to restore it.

And as for a Partitioning Software tool that the same, People have their favorite Software, I have used lots of them but my choice at the moment is Partition Expert 2003 by Acronis, [which I believe is not sold as a separate product anymore]

Sorry I could not be of more help.
    Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. brachd

brachd Registered Member

I have used Partition Commander which I find very easy to understand and use. Very similar to Acronis True Image as an easy to understand and use piece of software.
    Blair

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis products (http://www.acronis.com/products/).

I can only suggest to use Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 (http://www.acronis.com/products/diskdirector/). The partition manager in this product is almost the same as Acronis Partition Expert 2003.

It is also recommended to use the products that require a direct access to hard disk drives from one manufacturer.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.