Parted Magic 2014_01_04 Released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by TheKid7, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Parted Magic 2014_01_04 was released:
    http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08243

It still costs $4.99 to download. It would be nice if it was free again.

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

I would suggest him to increase the price of the software but do not charge for every new version. For example, he can charge 10 bucks to provide free update for a year.
    I don't think this software will be free again in the near future. It's the author's full time job now.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It would also be nice if rent and food was free.
    Mrk

4. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

Option 2
    $49.99 - One Year Subscription

Well he does have a yearly subscription.

I bought the last version and it downloaded very slowly.

May buy it again if I feel it's necessary.

He does deserve something for his time.

Have a good morning...

rrrh1 (arch1)

5. Gaddster

Gaddster Registered Member

Since Parted Magic is open source - licensed under GPL...You can download the iso from other places without having to pay the $4.99 download fee or any other subscription fees.

6. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

sounds interesting.
    we can do group buy taking turns - one person in the group can buy it and share it with other members, then when next version comes out, a different group member can buy it and share again.
    :D :D :D

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Good luck with that (download from other places), I'll just stay with 2013_08_01.

8. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

Hi... I downloaded the new 2014_01_04 version from s3.amazon. It went very fast, contrary to what happened with last year's versions, which were located somewhere else.

I don't mind giving a few bucks to reward Patrick Verner's compilation work. PartedMagic is my main solution for partitioning computers and backing up/restoring OS's, whether LinuxMint, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Windows7 or any other OS i happen to use. I've been using PM for years now, and it's only fair to pay the man his due.

I like the per version option best, because I'm not necessarily gonna buy every release. But I may give some more money when I buy a version, for the above mentioned reasons.

I come from the Windows world, but am now well rooted in the Linux world. PartedMagic has been one of the very first contacts I had with Linux. If Linux is ever going to compete with M$ in terms of laptops/workstations/pc's, I think it pretty normal to help developers make a living out of their dedication, provided fees stay in reasonable proportions, as is clearly the case with PM.

Tchuss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.