Paritioning CD /DVD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    I would like to create a DVD that contains several different installers. For instance, Office, StarOffice, Knoppix 4 ... Now, if these are pure installation packages, no problem. I can folder them. What about isos and full-disk installations? Is is possible to 'stack' them up onto a single cd / dvd?
    Now, I know I sound cheap, because disks cost pennies and why not have 10 disk with individual packages... But still, for the purpose of order and functionality, does anyone know of a software that supports partitioning of cds /dvds through a cd / dvd writer.
    Example: take a dvd and create 6 700Mb partitions.
    Then burn onto each partition a different iso.
    Then when I want to use the dvd ... bah what then? Is there a way for a cd / dvd to recognize a multi-boot disk and ask the user to choose the partition? Does this even exist or am I taking stupid sci-fi nonsense?
    Mrk

2. isnogood

isnogood Registered Member

Hi,

I'm afraid there's no such possiblity, at least I'm not aware of one. The only thing that comes to my mind is to use two drive setup (CD/DVD). You would need one truly bootable CD with a self contained system loaded into RAM (style linux knoppix). While it is loaded, you should be able to run one of the installations directly from the Iso file from your DVD drive.
    Mind, it's not tested, I'm not sure it would work or even if it's what you really want.

kalif of baghdad ;)

3. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    You are not yet Kaliph!
    BTW, which one is your favorite:
    Asterix, Lucky or Isnogood?
    :)
    Mrk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  4. isnogood

should say isnogood, but it's asterix, in fact. D'you know them all ? :)

5. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    I was born in former Yugoslavia where we had abundant access to European comics, most notably Belgian / French and Italian. As a boy, I've had about 1,500 comics, including: Asterix, Lucky Luke, Iznogoud, Alan Ford (this is by Max & Bunker, Italian, black humor like Monty Pyhton), Zagor, Mr. No, Tex Willer, Black, Captain Mickey, Captain Mark, Lun Mangus, Marty Mystery and more.
    Best of these would be Alan Ford, but then Asterix-Lucky-Iznogoud on the same level. I've recently bought all Asterix in English from Amazon and will hopefully find Lucky Luke and Iznogoud as well...
    Mrk

6. isnogood

Hi, I see you are much more cultivated than me ; I don't even know half of what you mentioned ;) Me, I was born in Poland, but asterix and company was my preferable lecture to learn french language and culture. I still love it, but now I prefere cinema production with asterix and Monica Belucci as Cleopatra :)

7. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

It should be possible if you make a multisession DVD with Nero.
    That way you can switch from session to session and install whatever is on the selected session.

Now, I'm not 100% sure because I myself just got a DVD burner a week ago, but it is possible on regular CD-R's so I guess it's possible on DVD's too.

8. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    I thought most dvd burners did not like creating multisession isos. But it's an idea. I'll give it a try, thanks.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.