Parental control

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Spooony, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Sorry dunno if this is the right place but what's the best things to do setting windows up for children. I know there's apps you can download for parental control but what is the best guidelines to follow and to setup windows using the limit rights features and such and what applications is best to protect from the bad things on the internet?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Always make them use a limited account. That way, they can't disable security. Also, make sure BIOS cannot boot from LiveCD and the like (optional). Proxy servers and the like should be blocked.

As for software, I have a list:
    Norton Online Family
    Windows Live Family Safety
    Kidzui
    K9 Web Protection
    Parentalcontrolbar
    Glubble
    Safesquid
    AOL Parental Controls
    DansGuardian
    Kidz CD
    GoGoStat

I actually recommend a DNS server on the router such as OpenDNS or Norton DNS. Either that, or gateways like Untangle or Astaro will be very hard to bypass. Both can be used at the same time, along with other software. Refer to Probably the Best Free Security List in the World for more options.

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

I agree with the openDNS as a parental control measure.

I have UAC set high, limited user, CD taken off boot menu, only able to use internet explorer and have openDNS set with certain things blocked (violence, sex, etc)

I also have f-secure IS and that has some good parental controls on it as well.

Kinda stinks sometimes because my 9 yo wants to watch youtube videos and it barely lets him watch anything.

Oh yeah almost forgot there are some kid internet browsers out there. Kidzui and buddy browser are a couple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.