Parallels Virtuozzo Containers

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Rasheed187, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, can someone explain to me why this technology hasn´t been implemented in Windows yet? Isn´t this like the (almost) perfect way to protect against malware? So basically you create several virtual spaces, all isolated from each other, in one you do all your online banking, in another one you test software, etc. see what I´m getting at? :)

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/virtuozzo/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuozzo

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Looks like something in between light virutalization like sandboxie and full hardware virtualization like vmware.

MS is implementing a technology called Hyper V that is even closer to the hardware than VMware.

3. Rasheed187

Thanks, I didn´t even know about Hyper V, looks very exciting indeed! I can´t believe that almost no one has responded to this thread, seems to me like this new type of OS virtualization would be a killer security tool. It´s basically like VM Workstation, but much faster because it communicates directly with the hardware. Of course it´s not exactly the same, because you can not install/virtualize other OSes. But it´s not meant for that.

I´m also not yet aware of all the ins and out. For example, will it be possible to install/run any app (even apps that try to modify the kernel) on virtualized partitions? This way, we could even use these parent/child partitions to test all kinds of software, including malware. You could do whatever the heck you want, and still be sure that your "real" OS (with your data) would never get compromised. Sounds exciting or not? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I might be a touch cynical, but honestly Microsoft implementing something just doesn't excite me very much.

They just have a history of doing it their way as opposed to what users might want.

5. Rasheed187

That´s funny, because I thought about asking some mod to change the topic´s title into "MS Hyper V", to generate more buzz. :D

No but seriously, you should read about it, this could be something big, I wonder why we haven´t seen this kind of tech for the home desktop PC yet. I really hope that this will be available on Vista and Win 7.

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...t-across-vmware-bow-with-hyper-v-release.html

Like with all VM technology, the focus has been server application as it can be used to more efficiently manage high end hardware rather than at a consumer level.

Well MS does support business well and this is a business product so I think they will make it happen. As for a consumer application.......

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  7. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

That's really funny, I actually thought of that idea when I was thinking how an OS should be to be safer.

Anyway, I think it is a great idea. I don't know why Windows/Mac/Linux isn't implementing it idea. Maybe it's because general home users will find it overly complicated. I think all the OS are too scared to make the first step into something new, in case it doesn't work and they lose money. So it's up to individuals and small companies who have nothing to lose to start these cool ideas.

8. Rasheed187

Well, I think it´s a damn shame that M$ hasn´t even implemented this into the OS yet, I mean with all those billions on the bank we should have had this technology like yesterday. :rolleyes:

And if people think it´s complicated they shouldn´t use it, but at least you can try to promote it (just like with UAC) and at least give a choice to the geeks. But anyway, word on the street is that it might be integrated into Win Vienna (v7) and who knows it might even be made compatible with Vista, it would give me a good reason to upgrade, that´s for sure. :)

9. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Really?! Where did you find this info? That'll be awesome.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.