Paragon Recovery CD doesn't work

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Karen76, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It should be straightforward to add portable apps. Many will run happily in native pe 3. Many more will run in the Parpe cd environment you already made.

Make a folder on your drive, call it e.g. PORTABLES, then put the portable apps. in there. A lot are just .exe's , a few have more components - just pop them all in the "PORTABLES" folder - no need for subfolders.

Copy the "PORTABLES" folder into the bin>sourcefol folder of 7parpecreatorv3.

Make another parpe , exactly as you did before.

Boot it up - use Freecommander to browse to x:\sources\portables and start up your apps.

Otherwise, you can add menu items to the explauncher.ini of your Paragon app.

Point the entries at x:\sources\portables\yourapp.exe

Will keep you updated of any developments on 7parpecreator.

2. demlv

demlv Registered Member

Hi SIW2,

I am still trying to make a boot disk with all my favorite portable apps in addition to Paragon Backup & Restore Free. Unfortunately, 7parpecreatorv3 is no longer working for me. I have never had any version of Paragon PM installed. I thought that when I first used 7parpecreator successfully it asked me if I wanted to include PM 10. Now it assumes that I want the partition manager, so when I point it to the only "launcher.exe" on my system (the one from B&R10 free) it says that it is copying a few files "just a few seconds" but it never gets past that point. Again, because I have never had PM installed, I don't know how 7parpecreator worked the first time if it really needs to find the PM files.

One thought -- I have installed the Win7 AIK since first using 7parpecreator. Could it be interfering in some way?

After I tried to get 7parpecreator to work several times, I did try an alternative method to get the portables onto the disk.

After reading up on all of this for a while, I used Ultraiso to extract the contents of the successful boot disk. I then used Damian's .wim mounter (which you recommended in another thread) to inject my "Portables" directory into the "Sources" directory of the mounted Boot.wim. I saved the changed Boot.wim, used it to replace the original Boot.wim, and I then downloaded a 32 bit version of the command line utility oscdimg.exe and used it to create a new .iso. I really thought that this workaround was going to work.

The new .iso boots fine, but using Freecommander I cannot locate the Portables directory anywhere, even though I an 100% certain that the data is in fact there on the disk.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

demlv :doubt:

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi demlv,

1. Not sure what is going on with 7pecreatorV3 working the first time - but not now.

Did you remember to rt click it Run as Administrator on the 7pecreatorV3 .cmd - it won't work if you don't.

The easiest way is to copy your portable apps. folder into "7pecreatorV3\bin\sourcefol".

Then rt click and run as admin on the .cmd , as you did before.

Choose the BR10 launcher when it asks for the PM 10 launcher ( it will work fine ).

When it asks if you want to add BR10 as well, say no as you already did.

Then continue as before - you will find your portable apps. folder is included in the .wim under "sources".

2. It appears from your post the portables directory was never actually added into the boot.wim.

In Damian's app., in the "choose edition" dropdown, you need to select IMAGE 2 .

Then simply copy and paste the portables directory into the mounted "sources" directory.

Then click SAVE button.

3. You don't need to make a cd and boot it every time to check the wim.

You can look inside the wim using 7-Zip ( free).

7-ZIP-EXAMINE-WIM-2010-03-24_152935.jpg

If it looks like everything is in there, then you can boot the wim directly off the Hard drive.

The free EasyBCD 2.0 Beta Builds - The NeoSmart Forums will add an entry for the boot.wim to your boot menu - select it and it you should boot straight into it.

On the main Easybcd screen , click Add New Entry.

Click WinPe Tab.

Browse to newly saved boot.wim ( give it a name if you like , or the default name is NST WinPe Image )

Click Add Entry.

Restart pc and select the new entry from your boot menu.

EASYBCD-ADDWIM-2010-03-24_153956.jpg

When you are happy with it, then make the .iso and burn a cd.

I may be posting a new version of 7parpecreator soon.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

5. demlv

demlv Registered Member

Nice.

Hopefully the newer version will work for me, like V3 did the first time.

BTW - I did manage to inject the Portables directory into boot.wim, using your instructions. So the now modified V3 disk works fine with a number of portable apps that I included. The problem had been that I was setting Damian's app to open the #1 image instead of #2.

I will continue to follow 7pecreator as you continue to refine it. Is this the best place to do that, or do you have a web page, or a thread elsewhere that is specifically dedicated to 7pecreator?

Thanks,

demlv

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I don't have anywhere specially dedicated to it - you are one of only two people to try it so far.

Glad it's working for you.

I have a version that incorporates Boa's BS Explorer shell and includes opera browser - it works really well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.