paragon hard disc manager 8.5

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Lodore

Your right I've imaged with Shadow Protect and KAV/KIS. Works fine regardless of whether it's desktop or recovery CD. Also have done it from desktop with KAV enabled. No problem.

Ran some timings for comparison. These were run with two FDISR snapshots, and Vista on the machine. Ran it with IT Edition from Recovery CD (timing results are the same as with Desktop) Also I imaged to my external USB drive. For reference this is a high end machine.

Data size on the drive was 49.8Gig

Imaging time was 14 minutes 58 seconds
    Verify Time was 13 minutes 0 seconds
    Restore Time was 13 minutes 32 seconds.

Pete

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks Peter,
    that is some fast backup and restoring times.
    but then again you are using a core duo 2.93 so i would expect thou times.
    i wonder how long it would take to make an image of the same amount of space using paragon.
    i think there must of been a problem with windows 2000 pro sp4 and kis6.0
    since you backed up and restored images with shadow protect destop with kis6.0 installed on windows xp sp2
    kis6.0 is designed for XP.
    paragon imaging may be slower but its still a darn good program.
    my backup time of 2hours and 47 minutes was backing up 67gb with high compression enabled to end up with a 49.9gb archive
    and checking intrigrity during the process.
    my CPU is a amd 3200 2.2ghz single core (socket 754)
    with 1gb of corsair value ram.
    the problem is due to the archive being bigger than expected i can only have one archive.
    which is a big downside.
    lodore

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Then you really do need to either (1) get a second hard drive for all your data
    or (2) partition your existing drive so that you have (a) OS and programs on c:
    and (b) data on F:

Making an image of all your data "every" time is taking too long and taking up too much space.

My windows XP and all programs compresses to 3.57 gig and can be backed up in 5 or 6 minutes -- even with an old P4, out of date memory and a near obsolete hard drive.

My Record time for making a system/program image is 45 seconds on a core duo 2 - I'm sure someone out there has done a sub 30 seconds ?

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

your right Long view i do need to do one of those options.
    what imaging program do you use?
    buying a second harddrive for my data would be the eaiest option
    since i have one big 160gb partition on my current drive.
    lodore

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I know your gonna hate me but I still use Acronis - 9.0 , 9.1 and 10.0 on different machines - just making full images . My "record" is with 9.1.

If you look to buy a second drive it might be good to get a really fast but small drive -- 15 to 20 gig for OS and programs should be plenty. Then you could partition your current drive for data and temporary images.

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Looking at lodore's time results i see i got off easy using PARAGON Hard Drive Manager to image my PARTITION: 80Gb w/ 39GB of data took 4 hours and some change but progressed nicely without error or issue. With my time you have to take into account i Imaged also "8" FD-ISR snapshots and an equal compliment of ARCHIVES included, so i didn't really mind the time stretch so long as the Image completed successfully and will return again in the same manner. That's yet for me to do. Likely this week but i'm confident all will go well because Paragon is never let me down once.

I'm still anxious to try the new release when it comes due of ShadowProtect and if it can succesfully Image significantly faster both creating and restoring, that will be enough for me to bring it on board.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@Easter,
    your still gonna use paragon even if you get shadow protect dektop right?
    you not gonna ditch it are not?
    i have only found two bugs with paragon hard disk manager 8.5
    one is if you rename the archive it becomes corropt which is gonna be fixed in a new build.
    and the other one is sometimes get an error when mounting and unmounting images as drive letters.
    the second one i have told support and i expect it will be fixed in a later build.
    as stated it used to take acronis 3 hours to create an image on medium compression which resulted in a 50gb image of a around 60gb used and then told me it was corropt once finished:D
    but the last image i created with acronis was in febuary.
    since then my sister installed a sims expansion pack meaning now its around 67gb used.
    so paragon creates a 49.9gb image of 67gb used in less time than acronis and makes a perfect image.
    lodore
    lodore

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

One Word: DEFINITELY!

PARAGON is a proven performer for me and no way can i ever abandon it. LoL

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

LOL good.
    one thing to note.
    shadow protect desktop always has a process running which in task manger looks like two.
    but when its not being used its using like no resource.
    i still prefer paragon in the way it only starts its process lancher.exe when it does an operation or you open its interface.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.