Paragon Drive Backup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by starfish_001, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@kenjin
    That is interesting. AFAICS this hasn,t been mentioned before.
    I read your post just as I was about to run Icesword !.

Could you elaborate?
    How did you recover?
    Which version of IS?
    Running at boot or scanning only?
    Thanks
    Lbd.

2. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

I am sorry, that you could not make it work then. Unfortunately I can only guess what might have gone wrong. For me it worked just fine.
    If the missing RollBack environment you mention above refers to what they call "subsystem" (i.e. the program that runs in the early boot phase which you can use to capture/restore snapshots), then most likely the MBR did not get copied correctly. If capturing and restoring sector 0 alone did not do it for you, you could have tried to capture the whole first track (sectors 0-63).
    However I understand that discussing this further would be theoretical and of no use for you currently.

3. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

@Longboard
    This is going fully off-topic now ;-) but ok.

The problem is that as soon as I start IceSword (1.12en) Windows crashes with BSOD. That happens only when RollBack is installed. Otherwise IceSword runs fine.

If you run both programs too, pls go ahead and report back if it does the same for you :D

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Kenjin

I am one of the folks who uses a single partition(which works well for me) so the sector by sector imaging approach is really unappealing.

I am not that familiar with IceSword, but one other issue I had with Rollback, which was quite understandable, was that Dantz's Retrospect would also crash my machine. This was understandable because of the open file API, that Dantz used to backup system files. I am sure that driver and Rollbacks driver had a real slug fest, before it all went down for the count.
    That could also be an issue.

Pete

5. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Kenjin I might have answer for you - if you are using the march build upgrade to the may build. This is one of the things that Andrew fixed. While testing Andrew we noticed that the march build could not stop its services without a BSOD

- there are 3 processes killing them on my machine always caused a BSOD the May build resolves this

6. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

Hi Pete. I understand. In that case whole partition = whole disk.

Right. Strangely enough Retrospect didn't cause BSOD's on my end. Not even with the old January version 7.2 of RollBack, which was known to have problems with Retrospect's open file backup. I don't know why it worked for me. Maybe different Retrospect version.

7. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

I have tried IceSword with all Rbx versions that have been available since January. At the moment I am using the latest unofficial test build 2691018768 and still IceSword causes BSOD, though according to Andrew this build is supposed to fix all those problems (including corruptions). Anyway, thanks for the hint, starfish.

8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I'm curious as to why you guys are messing around with IceSword when there are other free rootkit detectors such as F-Secure's BlackLight and SysInternals' Rootkit Revealer - which are stable. o_O

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Heh, well off topic now !!

paranoia rules!!
    I periodically scan with all three (and RK detector and UnHackMe)

AND, I thought kenjin's post referred to FD-ISR conflict with IS, but he was referring to RBRx.

Lbd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.