Paragon Drive Backup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by starfish_001, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

1) I realize that IFW can write directly to DVD, but does it span DVDs seamlessly?

2) If your HDD won't boot, what is the recovery-procedure from a multiple DVD set?

Thanks, pv

2. pvsurfer

While Ghost (for some reason) is entrenched in most IT Dept's, I have found Casper XP to be a simpler and better disk-cloning tool than either Ghost or ATI (based on my experience having used all 3 of them). ;)

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Casper XP :thumb: from me.

IFD/IFW/BING: you can create images from any option and store to any option.

The resultant image can be recognised by all three utilities.
    Images to DVD with no problems as long as basic settings are enabled properly.

EDIT: check "bingburn" utility

If cannot boot to HD at all, can use boot floppy for bing, create self booting floppies, cd, dvd for each and any app and restore images.

Go here to sniff around:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/

User guides are on home pages.
    Just try and find some (if any) problem links with google.(ok maybe a few.but all the problems were fixable easily enough Heh>)
    Search here, plenty of references.

There is also help news group here for you to look through:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/webnews.html

(buy now and it looks like there will be some free updates soon.)

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Thanks not seen this before. I'll take a look.

5. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

The issue your talking about is saving images?

Thanks,

Chris

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Chris

Yes. I had a long talk with Andrew yesterday and that was one of the issues. The other was the stablility issue.

I explained to him how I use FDISR in conjunction with the imaging programs and the time saving. I also told him that the only way I was really comfortable with imaging in Rollback was to uninstall it. He understood, and seemed to want to take up the challenge.

Pete

7. starfish_001

Imaging Rollback RX systems and retaining the snapshot data combined with the fact that installing a new version destroys the old snapshot data except for the one selected. Is a real weakness unless you use something like Drive snapshot to capture the whole lot.

Compared to the abilities of something like First Defence

8. starfish_001

I'm looking at the manual for StorageCraft™ ShadowProtect at the moment to see what this can do.

9. pvsurfer

That simply can not be done - using Drive Snapshot, or with any other disk-imager!

10. pvsurfer

This thread probably isn't the right place for this discussion, but since it has the attention of other Rollback users, I'll add my 2 cents worth.

As a Rollback user who has experienced Rollback-induced crashes, dirty-disks, missing hal.dll's, etc., I think HDS should be devoting all of their technical expertise to getting to the bottom of this issue. Clearly (at least it's clear to me), the problem still exists with the latest build.

What good are new features, such as saving Rollback images, when the very foundation of Rollback is unstable? :doubt:

~pv

11. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I agreed with you PV that HDS should resolved any issue arising in regard of there software (in this case Rollback) but then if no one report problems and no one is willing to work with the company to pint point a particular problem that happen on his system then How could that company knows about the problem or even solved it? So my questions are : Did you report your particular problems to HDS support? Are you willing to work with them to find what is the problem and then for them to resolved it?

Personnally, I never had the kind of problem you have with Rollback but then again what works on one system might not work in another system... mysteries of the computer!!!

Best regards,
    Atomas31

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This is what I call a smart comment and this is what HDS should SOLVE first before any further development of RB.

13. pvsurfer

Absolutely; I reported my problems in detail (twice) and have sent them everything they have requested from me regarding those events. ~pv

14. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

And they never get back to you for any additionnal info or news about the possible causes of your problem or even possible solutions?

Atomas31

15. pvsurfer

As I said, I sent them everything (i.e., Rollback files) that they requested. But apparently those file-contents did not reveal the problem.

16. starfish_001

See post 13 - Kenjin has done it

17. Longboard

This thread is drifting..but:

I have had e-mail from Terabyte that they have successfully restored image of partition with RBackRx "snapshot data" using the "Raw" copy option in Image for Windows.

This setting is available on the options window as you set up where to send/save the image.

Is also available from cmd prompt

Raw: This setting instructs Image for Windows to backup all sectors of the source partition, rather than just used sectors.

Chris and Peter may also have been in touch with them.

I have not tried this... ?Peter..

I suspect the compression would be significantly reduced (ie no compression), Does not remedy the MBR issues and was just not convincing enough for me.
    I have not made an effort to follow-up on this. I am not specifically convinced of any advantages.

My focus has shifted more to BING/IFW/IFD and FD-ISR; maybe not as elegant as RBRx as solution but very safe.

(unless rollback becomes bulletproof :) )

The copy/wipe application of Terabyte offers a similar options for copying.

AFAICT To accomplish the raw copy in IFW you must use the Phylock utility.
    Using DOS image or copy cmds I think this is not so critical. Any disc activity while doing raw copy will compromise the image.

Remember: 1st principles; KISS. :blink:

Lbd.

18. Peter2150

Couple of points.

1. Unless I am mistaken sector by sector imaging has to image the whole disk. That would take me forever. Even imaging every day isn't going to cut it. Worst part is I was using Retrospect to update files daily. Slow but reliable. It doesn't work with Rollback

2. Something else Andrew mentioned to me that was causing them some issues. They ideally want their driver loaded at the top of the stack. Some of the security programs, which want to get in there first to stop nasties use some undocument approaches to beat them to the top and push their driver down. The other thing is I think for stability a clean windows shutdown is critical. That where I told him the standard for me is 5 power resets in a row. Rough but FDISR weathers it just fine.

19. Longboard

Yes
    I dont think it really is a very useful option, but it appears it can be done.

I'm not sure what the rest of the post is about. :)

LBD

20. Peter2150

I was just refering to being in contact with Andrew, and what he said that might relate to some of the Rollback problems. Wasn't that perfectly clear.:eek: :D

21. pvsurfer

Longboard & starfish~

It seems that my '...simply can not be done..' remark was taken out of context. That comment was regarding the ability to capture all Rollback snapshots and the Rollback environment by any disk-imaging program. I based that opinion on my failed attempts to reproduce Kenjin's procedure (which I attempted shortly after he posted it) using Drive Snapshot, Ghost and TrueImage, in that order.

Actually, Kenjin's post was very exciting to me, so I attempted (step by step) to reproduce what he reported, first using Drive Snapshot followed by Ghost and TI. They each failed to capture all snapshots and the Rollback environment. While it's possible that my procedure wasn't exactly the same as Kenjin's approach, the best I was able to do was to capture the current snapshot.

Since then I upgraded to Rollback v7.2.12 (when it was released). A few days after upgrading I experienced another Windows crash (which I sincerely believe was Rollback-induced). After the crash, I was not able to restore my system to either of my 2 prior snapshots (they appeared to be corrupt), but fortunately I was able to restore to my 3-day old baseline.

Since I use my system for critical work, I could no longer afford the risk of retaining Rollback so I removed it from my system and will not reinstall it until I am given good reason to believe that the Rollback problem has been fixed - once and for all.

~pv

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  22. Longboard

Hey, understand perfectly, no probs.
    I think We are all a bit sadthat RBRx has not so fr been able to live up to early promise. With any luck that rather unique app may well be something to come back to.

23. starfish_001

Didn't want to jump on you - You're experience is the same as mine.....

Kenjin's approach does seem logical. Longboard also reported - Terabyte that they have successfully restored image of partition with RBackRx "snapshot data" using the "Raw" copy option in Image for Windows. But I doubt either will be very quick to image as peter says.

At the moment I still have two installs of Rollback and one of FD - I think I'm gonna swap another over to First Defence. The other system is multi boot.

As you say a product that cannot be imaged easily and that destroys snapshots when re-install leaves you rather exposed.

24. Longboard

25. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

No, you can sector by sector image a single partition. That is no problem. However the resulting image files will be larger - even with compression enabled. How much larger mainly depends on what data is stored in really unused sectors (also unused by Rbx). If there is all 0s in it, this will compress perfectly and image is not much bigger than usual. If there is random data in it, or if a sector has been used temporarily by RollBack for storing meta or real file data, it will compress much worse and inflate image size.

Indeed this seems to be another big issue. I guess this is why IceSword BSOD's my machine immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.