Paragon Drive Backup 2010 Special Edition GOATD

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Fuzzfas, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

First, they are not giving-away the fully functional professional versions of their software for free. The free versions have limited functionality.

The only problem you seemed to have suffered is that the archives are automatically split and the option to not split them up is not working. Isn't that right?

I am assuming the backups and restores worked fine for you.

That was the whole point of the free version. Give you the ability to backup and restore, utilizing the same engine present in their professional version, for free. Get it. No cost to you.

You just can not compare the performance of a free version of Paragon with a professional version of some other company.

Now, I myself am going to shift to ShadowProtect soon, but I used Paragon for almost a year and it has never failed to backup or recover for me.

2. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Raza0007

You are completely missing the point of my post which I thought was clear enough. However, in case I missed something I will spell it out again.

I do NOT expect Full versions for the price of free. What I do expect is a professional approach to launches. If you look at the number of queries/problems being highlighted in this forum with some resultant inoperability of the software in what it claims to do, it suggests that not enough homework was done prior to launch.

Remember, DBR 10 is a follow on from previous versions with some incremental improvements/benefits. So assuming the previous versions work OK what is the problenm in producing a follow on with minimal hiccups. Apart from Acronis most Image software companies are able to do it.

I do not know whether these problems are mirrored in the full version. If they are I would be mighty miffed as a purchaser.

One final thought, the size of a company is directly proportional to the likely level of foul ups.........

Terry

3. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Yeah found out after installing it, thanks. But seems it can only make a backup capsule if there is unpartitioned space on the harddisk. Another question, is there a way to specify where the archive database is placed? Just saw that it puts its database in the root of the drive as opposed to previous versions that places the database in the program folder.

My first impression is that the current versions of Paragon software is a bit buggy. Kinda glad I made an image using another Paragon giveaway prior to installing 2010 SE. :D

4. Raza0007

I agree with you guys. A number of minor bugs and irritants are present in the free versions that paragon has put out lately. I can assume they were caused due to the fact that Paragon had to disable some advanced functionality from their full versions and that had some unforeseen results. But I can not complain as the softwares are essentially free and Paragon did not put a gun to my head and told me to "use them or else!"

It is entirely up to me whether I want to use them or not. These free software are excellent for those who just have minimal requirements or who are using the windows built-in free imaging. If you compare the features available in the free versions of Paragon with those of the windows included imaging, you will understand why some people will want to use them and why they would still be grateful to Paragon, even if the software have minor bugs.

I think it is different with Paragon. I have a theory as to why the recent versions of Paragon have bugs in them. I was chatting to the Paragon guy on their dedicated forum about a bug in the HDM pro and he said he will notify the development team in Moscow! This was a surprise to me as most of Paragon's previous products were developed in Germany. Even the included user guide was automatically translated, using a software, from German to English. Perhaps, due to recession or high cost, Paragon has decided to shift its development work to Russia. A different team might explain why minor bugs have started appearing in their newer products.

5. Raza0007

The free version does not include partitioning, I think.
    When you setup a backup schedule you will be given an opportunity to select where the backup archive is to be stored. You can select any place you prefer.

6. TerryWood

Hi All

I am back again.

I am sorry (Razaa0007) but I simply cannot excuse lack of professionalism on the basis that we are getting something free. Nor can I excuse Paragon that they may have had something developed in Moscow. God forbid even Moscow can send a man to the moon, even rescue the Americans. So they (Paragon) ought to be able to code software that is incremental from previous versions with reasonable proficiency.

My comment on large companies being directly proportional to the number of foulups. I will add this which I have selected from another thread:

"My experience is identical to Osaban's. I have TI 9 on two old computers - it is slow, but it works (with some glitches I've learned to live with). I read too many bad things about later Acronis versions and just didn't want to take a chance. I have Shadow Protect on newer Vista computers - it works perfectly and is fast. It is expensive, but certainly worth it. Great product!"

I also use ShadowProtect which is far superior to DB&R10 without too much hype. They are SMALL, concentrate on delivery rather than marketing. You will find this across the board, bigger the size the larger the disappointment. Yet Microsoft is still in existence.

Shows how discriminative the public is in relation to marketing.

Terry

7. Raza0007

I never implied the Russians were mentally challenged or something. I was just pointing out that perhaps the unintended bugs have entered in the newer versions because of a change in the development team. It is very difficult to work with a code written by someone else.

Professionals will most likely not use the free versions, they will go with the professional versions of Paragon. I am sure paragon's professional versions do not have these bugs and problems.

8. flip21

flip21 Registered Member

9. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

10. TerryWood

Hi All (Again)

I think I have made (by now) my views clear on the problematic launch of DBR 10.

What has astonished me is the willingness of some people to excuse the poor level of professionalism displayed by Paragon, at almost any cost.

Two things stand out:

1) How anyone can use DBR 10 with any level of conviction given the number of problems that exist, I do not know. Remember this is your last line of defence, if this does not work then you have nothing. Also there was no specific DBR 10 Bart PE plugin, to enable BartPE for DBR 10. The plugin for the previous version DB 9 had to be cannibalised to get DBR 10 working from instructions on the Paragon forum via their moderator. As yet there has been no further release of DBR10 since circa October 20th so its more like an Alpha release with the current range of issues

2) The second, and more important point is that Paragon is a commercial venture, in other words they are out to make money. By upward migration in the same product or the sale of complementary products.

How they expect to achieve this with current travails affecting DBR 10 is beyond me. It is a textbook marketing example of how NOT to launch a new product.

There are companies that introduce products almost silently, indeed professionally that work more or less from launch because their testing regime is rigorous and there is pride in what they do.

It is an insult to all users that Paragon think they can get away with this kind of sloppiness just because it is free. As we all know their is no free lunch.

Terry

11. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Ok well here is a simple fix that should make you happy. QUIT USING THE SOFTWARE AND MOVE ON. There the problem is solved don't you feel better inside.

As for me the product works flawless on my computer, already done a few restores with it. And if something by chance happens I always have one backup image made from the built in imaging in windows 7. Also Paragon is not the only one that has had errors all lmaging software does from time to time. If you don't like the Service, Software or Company then leave.

12. TerryWood

Hi Fajo

You obviously don' t read the threads properly. If you had you would see that I did move on and I use ShadowProtect.

Secondly, you say it (DBR10) works flawlessly on your machine. How can that be since there are a number of items of non functionality, such as the splitting image function. That is unless you have a new version which I do not.

You are precisely the kind of person I referred to in my previous post. Not being objective and being prepared to accept less than the best.

But, in one respect you are right, moving on is the best prescription. It is just that I do not like companies who deliver poor service and poor products.

Call it a crusade if you like.

Terry

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

hmm one thing u have to remember is every system is different, and as im sure u can see on these forums, one issue might not effect someone else's system, so dont think everything that isnt working for u, is the same for everyone else.

14. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I will explain what happened on my PC:

- An early free version of v.10 had problem, in that it couldn't restore the image from the boot console. I had to use the CD. With the CD no restore problem.

- A subsequent version of free v.10 fixed that and now i can restore an image from boot console without CD.

- The Special Edition also works fine.

All in all in the last 2-3 weeks i have done about 10 image restores , including differential backups. All went fine.

If you have doubts about image integrity, you can check the image integrity afterwards. However, it appears that Paragon is slow, because it also does a check while writing the image (there is an option about that).

The file splitting for me is a minor issue, as i store images on a secondary 1 TB hard disk where i keep data, so i don't want to split them in the first place.

My main complain about Paragon is that it is very slow, but on the other hand, nobody else is going to give me differential backup for free, which is great for not wasting space for no reason.

As far as the reliability of the images goes, which is the core issue for a backup program, as i said, i have no reason to fear up this point. If the image is "good", then in the worst case, i will use the CD to restore it. Chances that the CD won't work are IMHO very slim. It has worked for me fine several times.

That's why i use it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

That pretty much made me chuckle. You come off as a person with nothing better to do then complain, repeating the same thing over and over again.

As for the other part if you don't even own the product version they were giving away why are you in here complaining ? this whole thread is about GOATD giveaway of Paragon, not your personal crusade as you put it to complain.

Back on topic please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.