Paragon Boot Camp Backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Early Adopter Program' started by Paragon_MA, Oct 8, 2014.

1. CekariYH

CekariYH Registered Member

Going to try that, but have no issues else. I think myself that it is Parallels Desktop that is in conflict with PBCB running or not.

2. Trebuin

Trebuin Registered Member

My parallels is working fine with it, just don't start with parallels running.

3. Trebuin

I can't figure this SMB thing out. I just created a sparse bundle on the network and it connect to that fine, but leaves me with a connection issue should I dismount that bundle. I used that technique to put time machine on my smb, but that causes other problems. I still recommend figuring out how to connect properly to SMB

4. CekariYH

Ok, good to know it's not Parallels then. I have a The initial WinClone copy that I made just after getting Win8.1 up and running. so going to remove bootcamp totally and restore it from that and Parallels etc after checking all.

5. The BOZ

The BOZ Registered Member

Same as ziggy29, Source states "Source Disk not found" and when you click the "Select Source" button, the window is empty. Is not detecting my Boot Camp Partition. NOT WORKING also with the newest beta!!!

6. michkhol

michkhol Registered Member

Successfully restored a bootcamp Win 7 Pro backup from a spinning disk partition to an SSD partition. Windows refused to restart a couple of times, fixed that with the repair disk. The backup still does not show the size of my 3T HDD correctly (both free and total).

7. CekariYH

I haven't been able to get the PBCB to work even after deleting Boot Camp and doing a fresh Win8.1 install.
    My setup:
    Language: Swedish on both OS X and Win8.1
    Boot drive for OS X with Boot Camp: External 2 TB Thunderbolt drive.
    Boot drive for only OS X: Internal SSD

Problem not solved.

8. Stefano_Sprinto

Stefano_Sprinto Registered Member

No problems whatsoever so far. Took around 90 minutes to back up an 85GB bootcamp partition, but allowed me to keep using other software in the Mac partition while the bootcamp partition backed up.

The application icon in the menu bar occasionally goes AWOL after a while, but is usually back within minutes. Also, what is that little yellow/orange marker that appear in the bottom left of the application icon; sometimes it's there, but other times it is not.

Overall, very pleased with the experience. It's a definite answer to a need. Will be worth buying.

9. michkhol

Unchecked the "Check & repair filesystem before backup" checkbox in the application window, now it won't backup with the error "Selected partition does not support this operation." I do not want to enable this checkbox because it looks like the BCB messes up with the Windows boot record (something like putting Windows 7 id instead of Windows 7 Pro one and Windows wouldn't start without repair).

10. Mikeycav

Mikeycav Registered Member

I've read through the documentation and this forum, but my apology ahead of time if I missed it.

What is the order to restore a backup from scratch? I am rebuilding my Macmini. Should I use the Boot Camp utility in OS X first, then restore from PBCB, or just run the restore and it does the partition creation and resizing for me? I'm familiar with all the tools, but I'm not clear on what PBCB's Restore process offers.

11. michkhol

I restored onto a empty space on a partitioned drive. First formatted the HDD in the Disk Utility then created an HFS partition taking only part of it. The PBCB recognized the empty space and restored Windows there. My Windows partition was slightly less than available space, so I had to boot into it directly and extend it. I mentioned it before, it looks like (and I don't have time to experiment now) BCB messes up with the Windows Boot Record and Windows refuses to boot after that. That is fixed easily with the Windows repair procedure, so have the Windows install DVD handy.

12. LB575

LB575 Registered Member

Working as advertised!
    I've successfully backed up and restored my Boot Camp partition a couple times without any problems. The Paragon Boot Camp Backup UI is straightforward and easy to use.
    Thanks.

13. MrALF

MrALF Registered Member

This is something I was looking for after my latest HDD crash, so I'm glad a solution is on the way ;-)
    PBCB is backing up as we speak. No trouble in finding the source and at the moment it is creating a backup to my NAS (synology), so far so good.
    As requested by others, I too find the documentation about restoring to be minimal to say the least.
    No clue as to when exactly in the process you need to use the application to restore in cas of a HDD failure or a new Mac.
    The documentation needs stop have some sort of step-by-step guide starting with a fresh MacOsX or after a restore from Time Machine.

14. PDADoc

PDADoc Registered Member

Okay, so I installed the app with no issues, and even successfully performed a backup, but I am unable to restore it. I select the archive, select the drive, click restore and then. . .nothing!

I'm using a MBP mid-2012 with 16GB RAM and OS X Yosemite, and the Bootcamp partition is Windows 8.1 Pro w/ Media Center (if that matters). The HDD is a 1TB Seagate Hybrid drive split in half, 500GB to OS X and 500GB to Bootcamp.

The image was backed up to an external hard drive (Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB) that has had no issues whatsoever. If it matters, I had been using WinClone Pro 4.4 as my Bootcamp backup solution and never had any issues with that. I don't know if your program requires me to uninstall WinClone first, but I hadn't, just in case I needed to restore my Bootcamp partition.

Also, every time I reboot my computer, the program shows an error message stating that the program hasn't been configured yet. Once I open it, the configurations I had set upon installation appear. It's as though the app isn't remembering any of the settings.

I've e-mailed my logs to the beta e-mail address.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  15. c2scott

c2scott Registered Member

1. Can't backup "Selected partition does not support this operation.". Is the problem the source or destination partition? What kinds can they be?
    2. Ever since installing I cannot use system preferences / select a boot disk; I must hold down OPTION to boot into Bootcamp. Maybe it's not Boot Camp Backup, but I think I'd like to know the exact uninstall procedure for this app.

16. PDADoc

PDADoc Registered Member

I was just wondering: where is all the help? I still haven't heard from anyone using the beta e-mail address I sent my logs to.

17. sylvezter

sylvezter Registered Member

The product looks really nice and I am looking forward to using this. I installed the latest beta version of Paragon Boot Camp Backup on MacOS 10.8. The backup of my Windows 7 partition worked successfully to an external HD. The backup seems slow and the backup rate hopefully can be improved. It took approximately 40 minutes for a 60 GB partition.

Please note that I tried to backup to a Network AFP File Share, and the process failed. Please see log below:

Code:
    ################################################################################
    Backup task started (virtual), start time: 10.01.2015 11:33:00
    Archive path           : "/Volumes/GoFlex 2/Joseph Windows 7 Backup.hdmbackup/Joseph Windows 7 Backup.hdmbackup.pfi"
    Current archive version: 5.3
    Current app version    : 10.1.0.16964
    Container type         : PVHD
    Raw policy             : Ask user
    Pin archive            : No

Total parts to backup : 1
    Total disks to backup : 1

Backup task result: 0x0 ("Successful operation")
    Backup task finished, finish time: 10.01.2015 11:33:00
    ################################################################################

Backup task started (physical), start time: 10.01.2015 11:33:00
    Archive path           : "/Volumes/GoFlex 2/Joseph Windows 7 Backup.hdmbackup/Joseph Windows 7 Backup.hdmbackup.pfi"
    Current archive version: 5.3
    Current app version    : 10.1.0.16964
    Container type         : PVHD
    Raw policy             : Ask user
    Pin archive            : No

Total parts to backup : 1
    Total disks to backup : 1

!!!Error: Create virtual drive '/Volumes/GoFlex 2/Joseph Windows 7 Backup.hdmbackup/hdd-0.pvhd' (476 GB) (1 of 1) ... Failed (Result = 0x10023)
    Delete archive folder '/Volumes/GoFlex 2/Joseph Windows 7 Backup.hdmbackup' ... Ok

Backup task result: 0x10023 (!!!Error: "Can't open/create file")
    Backup task finished, finish time: 10.01.2015 11:33:00

18. queeg505

queeg505 Registered Member

I too get this message, I have tried a different destination disk so I'm guessing its the Bootcamp partition at fault. I was having a failure with Winclone as well and they said that the Paragon NTFS driver can cause an issue so I removed that but still got a failure. They then said the logs were displaying
    " Windows is hibernated. Will not be able to remount read-write. Run chkdsk."

I checked that hibernate was off and I ran a chkdsk /b as suggested, this took a long time but did complete successfully. I tried again and got the same error and the log complaining about hibernation! This was why I thought I would try the Paragon Boot Camp Backup, but as this fails as well I'm assuming there is actually an issues on the bootcamp partition. Winclones only other suggestion was to boot from Windows installer media and run the repair wizard. I haven't done this as I'm a bit reluctant!

Admittedly my bootcamp partition is currently running Windows 10 preview but I was having the Winclone issue when it was Windows 8.1.

19. cliff99

cliff99 Registered Member

Just updated to the latest Paragon Bootcamp Backup 0.570 and the docs say I should be able to migrate Bootcamp to another Mac but I copied over my backup file to the documents directory but PBB can't see the backup to restore it on my other machine.

Any ideas?
    Otherwise backup works fine.

Cliff

20. Trebuin

Just to post an update...I ended up attaching my portable hard drive that I take on deployments to my apple router and have set up the update on that. While it is a bit more reliable, someone needs to change the program so that it mounts the drive before trying to back up. It fails if it was not mounted.

21. parpetete

parpetete Registered Member

The version downloaded from http://www.paragon-software.com/home/bootcamp-backup/ does not work on OS X Lion 10.7.5, please correct file or system requirements.

After installing, the Boot Camp Backup app appears with a forbidden logo and when clicking it says "Mac OS X 10.8 required"

22. fprstudio

fprstudio Registered Member

Just got the latest Paragon Bootcamp Backup 0.570 and finally my Boot Camp Partition was detected automatically so I could run my first backup. So far so good.
    It took less than 10 min. to check the partition and complete the backup of 118 GB of DATA to a 3TB disk on an external OWC ThunderBay IV enclosure.
    This is on a Mac Pro (Late 2013) 6 core with Apple 512GB SSD Flash storage and 16GB or RAM with OS X 10.10.2
    This volume is divided into 256GB partitions for each OS.
    On Yosemite, if you use dark mode, the menu bar logo is not visible because of course is black.

23. David Gue

David Gue Registered Member

Anybody tried using BootCamp Backup on a FAT32 formatted BootCamp partition? Will it be recognized and copied without converting to NTFS? (I'm aware of the procedure for doing the NTFS conversion under WindowsXP, but would rather avoid it if possible.)

24. GKmac

GKmac Registered Member

It is the same for me...

25. gfs

gfs Registered Member

I've just downloaded the trial version.

My initial attempts returned a message that the backup couldn't be made to it's own source disk. I was definitely trying to save to an ext. HD.

My first question upon going through the setup, was how an ext drive needs to be formatted? This is a Mac app after all, but it is a windows disk image. There is nothing about this in the help docs that I could see. (I noted from your screen-grabs, that you had all caps on your destination disk, so I guess it needs to be a fat disk).

However, my main question is this:

I want to use PBCB to migrate a windows 8.1 bootcamp install, to another Mac, which has a new ssd installed. I want to make the new bootcamp partition much smaller than the source partition.

Question:

Can I use PBCB to Restore *only* the windows system itself to this new bootcamp partition? (i.e. with *no* files or other apps).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.