Paragon Backup and Recovery 12 Compact – Crash when Checking Archive Integrity

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Jorpho, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jorpho

Jorpho Registered Member

I was pleased to see that Paragon Backup and Recovery 12 provides its own hot copy service rather than depending on VSS; something is knackered in VSS on my Windows 7 x64 system and Windows Backup has never worked properly either. So I managed to successfully create a 226 GB backup of my main hard drive partition, spanning some 59 files in 4 GB chunks.

Unfortunately, I cannot check the archive's integrity without the program crashing once it reaches the file ending in .025 – the 38th file, 148 GB in. I get a Windows error dialog that says "A part of Paragon System Utilities has stopped working", with the following signature details:
    Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	launcher.exe_Paragon System Utilities
      Application Version:	10.1.19.15839
      Application Timestamp:	4ff4d00c
      Fault Module Name:	hdm.dll
      Fault Module Version:	10.1.19.15839
      Fault Module Timestamp:	4ff4caf5
      Exception Code:	c0000005
      Exception Offset:	001b068a
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID:	4105
      Additional Information 1:	0a9e
      Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:	0a9e
      Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    I figured I would try posting here because it takes hours to keep trying to verify this backup and it would take additional hours to keep trying to re-create it, so if someone knows what is going on, that would be great. :D I'm going to try verifying it from the boot CD next.

EDIT: When checking the archive integrity, the Linux-based boot CD appears to fail silently at exactly the same place! Is there something else I can do to get more verbose information?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. Jorpho

Jorpho Registered Member

Well, I made another backup (I adjusted the split to 3 GB this time instead of 4) and was able to verify its integrity successfully.

I still have the other backup, in case someone wants me to help debug what the problem was..?

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

A possible guess is that you have a bad sector on the disk containing the archive. When you made the second one it did not use the bad sector since it was allocated to the first one.

It should have just flagged the archive as corrupted but ....

Just speculation on my part but if you want to pursue it, run chkdsk /r on the partition containing the archive. An even better test is the drive manufacturer's diagnostic program - they often will pick up things chkdsk doesn't.

4. Jorpho

Jorpho Registered Member

A reasonable idea, but I was able to copy the file ending in .025 (and the file ending in .026) to another drive without any errors. It's also a brand-new drive, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

CHKDSK comes up clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.