Paragon Alignment Tool 4.0 Professional

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by NICK ADSL UK, Oct 23, 2012.

1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

What's new in 4.0 version?
    Windows 8 support
    Faster alignment engine
    Bootable WinPE-based environment* to align partition without installation of MSI package
    Improved possibilities to recover volumes that were accidentally lost during alignment
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/partition-alignment/

2. honeyBQ

honeyBQ Registered Member

Another fine utility for the IT pro & disk performance tuner's (& most anyone who values quality SATA HDD and/or SSD longevity - which sell at NOT such a "meh" price). Pertinent question relevant to pARAGON partition alignment utility. Old DOS, MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 3.0/3.11, Windows 95a/b/&co, Windows98, Windows 98 OSR2, Windows 98SE, Windows NT 4.0 (& earlier vers. of NT), Windows XP and old Linux Walnut Creek + "Red Hat" are considered "Legacy" operating systems requiring LEGACY OS disk management/partition alignment methodology. ? My Question of the week is: What about Ubuntu 12.04.3 (x86) -- is Linux Ubuntu considered an operating system which requires LEGACY type partition alignment OR does it require an Inheritance type partition alignment. It is a fresh piece of Linux "pie" (but how do I divvy it up (align & partition) neatly and accordingly if NOWHERE is to be found the elusive answer to my simple question. I thought it would be considered a "Vista, Windows 7 and later..operating systems BUT I get conflicting opinions, stating that if it is running aboard (along side) Windows XP (NTFS) then it is a Legacy type partition alignment that is required (Extended partition with Ubuntu (filesystem on a Logical Drive) and its "Swap" on a separate Logical Drive (swapfile/ramdisk). Trying not sound like "Alice down the rabbit-hole here" but it seems that NO one else on any other site (even Ubuntu forums) even gets what I am referring to (regarding partition alignment - the 512 and 4K alignment conundrum, integers and solve for.. OMG! from 63 -- 64 sectors. No less complicated is the disk geometry since the "new age of SSD", now there is GDISK RAID. HDD/SSD Partition ALIGNMENT is ENTIRELY an increase in disk seek/read/write data performance and data flow. Am I a dunce Nick or is it not important to know what type of Disk Alignment category does LINUX Ubuntu fall under? Is it not Vista and later type OS alignment or is it considered Legacy alignment if preceeded by Windows XP as the Primary Active partition? Is it Inheritance Alignment (isn't that object based). Is there a handy URL here at Paragon or a PDF that distinguishes the various alignment dependencies for specific OS's? NO ONE can give me a straight answer so far - even OEM SATA HDD/SSD senior tech support for my new laptop could answer this question (BTW: the HDD 2.5 ATA drive that is being partitioned for this purpose is under 500 GB). Am I wording my question inappropriately? I love my Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 2014 and the Paragon Disk Partition Manager which I am evaluating. I'm thinking to d/l the Paragon Alignment Tool for eval if it is available. Many people are starting to ask me how I like the HDMS 2014. 2 of my mates have purchased it just prior to the holidays. This is the only nagging question which has been holding me back. If Paragon Forum has no answer -- then I remain a "dunce of the premier class". :oops:

3. icherry

icherry Registered Member

i've launched it first time
    it reboots laptop
    then it flash some error messages and restart again
    now there is only missing operation system line
    emachines 351 laptop
    xp latest
    250 gb wd hdd

i've booted from usb-flash with pat installed
    it says that first partition is unformatted
    help me to recover or resume align please

4. oldfart99

oldfart99 Registered Member

I ran this tool running a program called Paragon Alignment Tool 4.0 (4k alignment). It is actually a partition moving program. I ran it overnight and had thought I could halt the process in the morning and resume again at night. Unfortunately, there is no resume option. So 1/3 of the partition (A) was moved and the other 2/3 (B) is in the original position . Therefore, I am now looking for any software that can move parts of partitions. I assume I could trick any partition moving software by deleting A/B, then making a new small partition A to end where the move stopped? And move just that one? And then make the moved A'/B' partition using a sector editor?

Off topic details: It wasn't actually a partition moving program. So I actually hit escape after for about 8 hours of a needed 18 hours or so. There is no resume option since I hit escape. Had unplugged the device I'd be ok.

Do most partition moving software programs "fix" the MFTs after move or before? I am thinking if a file had parts on both A and B the MFT will be incorrect. But which parts will be correct? A or B? If the adjustments are done afterwards it would be B that is correct. If before, A is correct. I need to know the answer so I can know what software to fix the problem. Unless a recovery program can handle this exact situation (split partitions). I am sure I can scan the drive to recover files from A and files from B but nothing can handle this that I am aware of where to partitions are scanned or there is awareness about how parts of a file have been moved by ~4K-63 sectors up the drive. I tried using Runtime GetDataBack for NTFS 4 but it recovered (onto a separate drive, obviously) many files that were corrupt. Seems the bigger the file the greater chance it is corrupt.

If anyone has any ideas please share them. An overview of how to manually set up a partition and move it would be helpful.

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

To align partitions, I prefer to use the image route. Create an image of the partition, delete it, restore the backup to the unallocated space left by the deletion. The partition will be aligned after the restore.

This works with Hard Disk Manager and other imaging programs. Low risk, a backup available is something goes wrong, independent and separate processes.

6. oldfart99

oldfart99 Registered Member

Robin, thanks so much for reminding me that making a backup beforehand would have prevented this problem. Next time I will be sure to make a backup first. For now, I need to fix this problem, however.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    what's about the linux version
    it boots but it doesn't nothing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.