Paragon Alignment - custom offset ???

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by petar_b, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, you could certainly do it that way.

The whole point of the PAT is so you don't need to do that.

Not everybody has the extra HD's , or the time.

I found it reasonably quick to use.

You might as well extend that logic to say why use a 3rd party partitioning app. at all ?

You can always image all the hundreds of gb on any hard drive , delete all partitions , then and recreate them with Disk management and put the images back in their new locations.

That gets around any limitations Windows Disk Management has - but it's very long winded.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

SIW2 I do not disagree.
    The time needed depends on the amount of data that need to be moved.
    More data= more time needed.
    And if during the alignment something goes wrong (e.g. extended power outage, or disk failure because of the extreme stress on the drive) one can say goodbye to his data for ever.

In the end it all depends on the amount and the importance of the data.

Panagiotis

3. michaelgotberg

michaelgotberg Registered Member

thanks for the tip :) did not know that it was possible to specify sectors when creating partition with that command.

Problem is that I have a 1TB primary boot drive, 100GB scratch drive and a 2,7 TB GPT data drive. It is a big pain to mirror everything, mostly since I get so abysmal performance from the raid it takes ages to copy anything.

Would buy PAT today and recommend it to all I knew if it would support this.
    Why does not the normal partition software allow for byte accuracy offset?
    Lots of people are migrating to SSDs and advanced format drives, however lots of people are running raids too.
    Help Paragon :)

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  4. michaelgotberg

michaelgotberg Registered Member

Why not make it possible to align partitions to 1 MiB? (1048576bytes) by a checkbox or something?
    That would solve the issues with raids,SSD,Avanced format drives etc?
    You lose a miniscule amount of data but to me it seems worth it to get rid of all the hassle.
    If PAT 2.0 worked flawlessly on GPTs in win 7-64bit Paragon would have itself a big hit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.